can we have real 5.1 on DVD players??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagardani

Lost in LOST
hey folks.. can we have real 5.1 sound on DVD players?? we have various good 5.1 speaker systems for pcs from creative, logitech, etc. if we add a good sound card to our pc, they give excellent sound.. but can we have similar sound with a dvd player which we connect to a tv set (provided we have speakers)?? such dvd players have in-built 5.1 support, dts, thx???? or yes then, which companies have such players? jus imagine a medium-high end creative sound card!! can we have such features in a dvd player???

kirtan

Journeyman
yes man it's possible to get the 5.1 sound.Almost every DVD player which is being manufactured now-a-days comes with the 5.1 o/p mechanism.

goobimama

 Macboy
But it depends on the decoder that the DVD player has. The cheap one's are normally associated with channel bleeding and they also add noise.

goobimama

 Macboy
The Creative Audigy 2ZS offers 113 (I think) Signal-to-Noise Ratio. The cheap DVD players offer something like 90 at best. It won't make much of a difference on low-end sound equipment as most speakers themselves aren't capable of more than 90SNR. But when it comes to high end stuff, then the decoder onboard matters.

Just to let you know, my friend has a standalone decoder, just for dolby digital signal, Costing 45k. The DTS standalone of that same brand costs 1.2lacs. Of course, he's using them for his 30lac plus home theatre...

I'm using the decoder on the Logitech Z5500 digital speakers (signal to noise is 103 or something). No channel bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom