Can u Help me..with this Bootable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipen01

Youngling
Hi friends..

I needed some help for creating an operating system bootable CD.

Actually i have one Bootable which also has an option for installing Win 98 directly from it. I mean if i select an option of installing Win 98 it directly installs it without any hussle.
Actually i made the copy of Win 98 bootable from my friend. Once i booted with Win 98 and then By inserting Win XP CD. i executed setup but it showed error showing SETUP CANNOT BE RUN IN DOS MODE.
To overcome this problem .I need to make such bootable for Win XP but dunno how to do it. I need help regardiin this..
Thanx.. It will be really great if detailed explanation is given..

Cheers..
Dipen

swatkat

Technomancer
there's nothing wrong in ur bootable windows 98 CD or XP CD...the error is due to the fact that normal XP setup cannot be run in DOS mode..
to overcome this, u should run the setup file in I386 folder in WinXP ....
follow these steps:-
1]Go to folder I386 in CD (for this, type cd i386 in command prompt).
2]Type winnt.exe (or simply winnt) and press Enter.
This should start the Setup........

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
Hey Swat...

Thankx yaar for ur advice... i guess now it will work ... But i also need to make an independent Bootable containing Win XP. How can I do that...
Waiting for ur Response....

Cheers..
Dipen

swatkat

Technomancer
u can do this using Nero...for this u should have a Bootable Floppy Disk, for making a Bootable Floppy Disk, in Windows 98,follow thses steps:-
1]Go to Control Panel
2]Go to Add/Remove Programs
3]Claik Startup Disk Tab and insert an empty floppy
and click Create Disk.

in WinXP, follow thsese steps:-
1]Go to My Computer
2]Put a floppy in the Floppy Drive, and right click on the Floppy drive icon.
3]Select Format, and in this Format Window, Select the option "Create MS-Dos Startup Disk" and click OK..

Leave the Floppy in the Drive...
Then run Nero Burning Rom, and go to File>New..

This opens up "New Compilation Window", here select media type as "CD Rom (Boot)", then in Boot tab, select "Source of the Boot Image Data" as "Bootable Logical Drive" (the first option), then click "New"..

This will open up Explorer type window in which u can select the files to be added to the CD.

Here, u add all the files of the Windows XP Setup Disk (must be copied to ur Hard disk from a CD) to this compilation and click Burn...

if don't want to make a bootable floppy for this or if Nero is having problems while accessing data from Floppy while burning, look here for creating Bootable CD without the use of Floppy...
Read this tutorial, for Nero 5.5
*www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=296
or for Nero 6

*www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297

For both the above processes, u must have the complete setup files of the Windows XP D in ur Harddisk

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
Hey Buddy....

Thankx a lot for ur time and writing a long explanation for me...
Guys like you keep the spirit of this forum alive...

Cheers....
Dipen

LordDJ

Broken In
Hey Dipen01

this is a pretty rustic boot loader *www.nu2.nu/diskemu/ but very customisable.
check it out[/url]

valtea

In the zone
swatkat said:
there's nothing wrong in ur bootable windows 98 CD or XP CD...the error is due to the fact that normal XP setup cannot be run in DOS mode..
to overcome this, u should run the setup file in I386 folder in WinXP ....
follow these steps:-
1]Go to folder I386 in CD (for this, type cd i386 in command prompt).
2]Type winnt.exe (or simply winnt) and press Enter.
This should start the Setup........

i think there is some problem with Dos mode running winnt.exe i got some warning, i forgot what exactly was that but i think its something regarding disc access method. My setup runs very long time, so i just do a win98 installation and then install winxp on top of it. I know its very unprofessional way.. but i dont know a quicker way (i dont have winxp bootable install disc)

theraven

Technomancer
chill out dude
why dont u just make ur cd bootable ?
look for a software called nlite
and then look for a guide on msfn.org on how to use it
infact i did the searching for u today ;)

try these links
*msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=162
*msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom