can not defragmenrt hard drive ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_gamez

In the zone
when i try to defragment any partition of my harddrive it just gives a message that windows defragmenter could not start ..and i am unable to defragment the hard drive.
what is the cause of this ?

when it try to defragment it using system mechanic 6 pro ..it takes hours and hours and theres not much progress ..also the cpu usage becomes 100 % and memory usage is also becomes very high ..so is this normal ..will i be able to defragment using system mechanic pro 6 atleast ??
or can the windows defragmenter problem be solved ?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I need the following:

1. PC config
2. Which process takes 100% CPU
3. Which process eats up memory
4. Which antivirus you have installed

Also, both windows defragmenter and system mechanic defragmenter are very slow. Try Diskeeper.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
1)my pc config is as follows :
P4 2.4 ghz 1mb l2 cache
HIS motherboard 845 GVM-L
512 mb DDR RAM
GeForce MX 4000 8X AGP
80 gb hard disk seagate baracudda with 4 partitions(20gb each windows xp SP2 on C :)
2)AND 2)the process of defragmenting using system mechanic pro6 takes up 100% cpu and almost full memory.

4)Norton antivirus 2006 fully updated .zone alarm pro.(registered )firewall.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
hey bro google is our friend. whenever are confudsed about some thing just use its services.this is diskkeeper www.diskeeper.com/
u can go for boot time defragmenrtation which will complete faster which diskkeeper offer

shovik

Banned
Diskeeper is best defragmenter which is currently available today. You can get a bunch of free defragmenting tools along with Diskeeper Lite at the following link:

*www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/defragmentation.shtml

Hope this tools will help you defrag the clutters in ur drive. If my info was useful then plss let me know.

Regards,
Shovik.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
but still i wanna knw why windows defrag doesnt even start..as for the system mechanic pro its working fine now.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
ok i got the reason why this problem is occuring .windows defrag,diskeeper,nor any other defrag software are able to defrag my harddrive. the reason for this is that it says thal all your harddrives are locked by windows.
how is this possible ?can i unlock the hard drives and how ??

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
even if i disable the firewall and antivirus..its no use..again it says drive locked by windows..and defragmenatation could not intialize..
according to me this should be due to some integrated tweak as i am using a modified windows xp sp2 created using Nlite..so may be theres some thing called as drive locking tweak or..some option .to lock system drive in windows..if u have any info regarding this (or unlocking it )please tell me .

Kniwor

Learner
it is possible that u have disabled some service in wnidows, may be accidentaly, just check the services "services.msc" to see if u have and concerning service disabled....

Andyiz

Journeyman
ya kniwor is rite,
i suspect some problems in ur services.msc( go to run and type services.msc)

Check out whether u accidently put off something which deframgmentor depends on

Check out the properties of each serviece and try to find to find out dependency list of each one,

Or else u can also try PERFECT DISK from RAXCO.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
oh my god there are so many services which one do i check for defrag ??and what should the status be like ?

sakumar79

Technomancer
1. Run a check on your hard disk (Right click drive, under Tools, choose Check Now)... It is possible that Bad Sectors are affecting your defragging speed...
2. Disable the Sys Mechanic Pro Defragging service, restart and try defragging with default Defrag util from Windows...

Arun

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
no i have checked the hard disk..
even tried without any antivirus...firewall and sys mechanic pro..but still not wokin it is just not ..startin says windows defrag.. could not intialise ..i am telling na the message says that the drives have been locked..
what do i do now ??
oh my god there are so many services which one do i check for defrag ??and what should the status be like ?what about this ?

Kniwor

Learner
the fact is that if u have disabled a service required for defragmentation.... NO MATTER what software u try, u cannot defragment it..

now just open services.msc and read description for each service that is disabled and see what comes out

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
but which service is related to defragmentation ..i just dont get it !!!does anyone knwo or can someone find out ??

now i have enabled almost all services..but still it doesnt work out..i dont know whats the problem...it just says :ERROR-defragentation could not intialise:

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Try DisKeeper 10, the fastest and the best defrag software for Windows.
Get it from here : *www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp
Go ahead. Maybe your Windows defrag software is corrupt.

OP
go_gamez

go_gamez

In the zone
hey Jguru thts what i am using ..diskeeper 10..but still not workin.. it says diskfragmentation could not initialise and as u said i am not running any other program using that drive..so my steps are right but theres some file disabled..or something tweaked up as i remeber the windows i ve installed...is a modified one..with many things disabled..so what do i do now.. i have also.. enabled all services from services.msc.......

please read the whole tread to understand the problem.. completely...i hope some one will get the solution..and will be thanked by me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom