Can norton and avg exist side by side on one system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohanbee

Padawan
Just wanted to know wether anyone is using the above combination together??
I wanted to use avg as a lot of ppl on this forum have raved about it but i don't want to remove Norton without being completely sure that avg is worth it.
Comment please !!

swatkat

Technomancer
You can use both side by side but performance decreases and there is a probability of 'lock ups' as Norton doesnt allow other softwares to scan some files.

ujjwal

Padawan
Then disable Norton's live protection and any other memory resident features, and use AVG ... I too did like that and then completely switched over to AVG :)

digen

Youngling
Its certainly not advisable to have 2 anti-virii or 2 firewalls on a single system.Conflicts could arise due to this which would be hard to sort out.

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Yah.. dude.. You can have them together on the same system.. But it degrades the system performace., I dont think there's any need to have them together.. But.. In my view Norton is better than AVG thou it eats up ur RAM..

go4inet

In the zone
But when u use Windows XP with SP2, there might be probs ! Coz I had Panda Antivirus and later installed Norton 2005, guess wht happened ? System crashed !

@ Booting windows did not know which antivirus to start with, both had a conflict, like they fight to get the priority !

:lol:

Regards,
Vinay

ujjwal

Padawan
On no condition run their "live protection" or "resident shield" engines together, but you can install them both together ... no problems.

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
ujjwal said:
On no condition run their "live protection" or "resident shield" engines together, but you can install them both together ... no problems.

I understand the live protection bit but whats "resident shield" ??

OP
rohanbee

rohanbee

Padawan
So what you are saying is they can run to-gether but with one of their live protections disabled. :?

So they can both be co-existing in the system tray?? or one can be and the other can be switched on for just an extra caution scan or something.

Is this really possible?? seems as though its a recipe for some serious conflicts and resource hogging. Because dont the anti-virus stay in the background but are using system memory............

go4inet

In the zone
Hmm.. I use Norton 2005 with Live Protections, it some times helps me find some internet !

Wooooooooo ! Just @ time I was posting this I got one more alert, check this screenshot if you wish !

*img125.exs.cx/img125/5206/nv.th.jpg

ujjwal

Padawan
So what you are saying is they can run to-gether but with one of their live protections disabled.

Yeah exactly ... you may be able to run em both but expect crashes. As for resources ... yeah both will reside in the memory.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
I installed Norton Systemworks. Now even dave works slowly. forget about ut2004. I feel a computer with 100 virii is faster than a computer with norton. Get AVG only. acgres process is very small. It requires no ( as Limit :arrow: 0 ) cpu and very low mem usage. Can run UT 2004 smoothly with it running. No performance chage at all. Just rremove the control centre.

H

h4ck3r

Just go for AVG

Forget norton and go for avg .. Its free and its fine ..
Rather disastrous for ppl like me :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom