Can I attach a new sata drive to my existing Seagate 80GB SATA HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Hello friends,
I've got a seagate 80 GB sata hdd brought 2 years back and running fine.Now i am running out of space and want to buy a new sata 160 GB drive.I've got a intel 915GAV board.
The problem is will i be able to connect the new SATA drive to the mobo.afaik sata drives are connected something like serially:confused:.so please help and how can i able to say whether my mobo/existing sata hdd supports an additional sata drive.any other different versions of sata available,I've heard phrases like sata2 etc.below is the details of my seagate sata.
Code:
ubuntu:~$  cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      [B]Model: ST380013AS[/B]       Rev: 3.18
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Also pls answer what is SCSI hdd drives,will it offer extra performance
over sata and will I be able to attach SCSI drives to my gigabyte 915GAV mobo.thanks ya all

Last edited:

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
simply buy a SATA hard disk and connect it to ur mobo. It will work without any problem with ur existing PATA disk. Regarding SATA2 it is a new sata standard supporting 2Gbps transfer speed. But I don't think that ur mobo supports SATA 2

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
but i already have a sata 80 gb brought 2 yrs back

simply buy a SATA hard disk and connect it to ur mobo. It will work without any problem with ur existing PATA disk.
But i have a sata 80 gb disk already!.now am doubtful of whether a new sata hdd can be connected to my mobo....

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Thanks for such a detailed explantation.and i am going for sata2 based hdd if available; repped U ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom