can i access net using wifi @home ? how ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

multi

lazy bone
well i am residing in gujarat.
i want to know that can any one access the net using wifi @ home , i mean for his desktop .
if yes , then how much it cost , what he may need for that with prices in Rupees .
hey raabo & deep if u know , plz let me know :?:

digen

Youngling
Yes you can share the internet connection for wifi.You will need a router/access point along with a wifi card for each pc.I've no idea about the costs.
A day or two ago deep posted the prices for the equipment he had bought,try searching the forums a bit.

Charley

Just Do It
Wi-Fi operates by using signals much like those used by many cordless phones today. However, Wi-Fi enabled devices are designed to transmit data at very high speeds. It receives a signal from Wi-Fi enabled devices and connects wirelessly to high-speed phone lines using base stations called, access points. Using wireless signals, Wi-Fi connects to these access points, which connect to high-speed phone lines. The high-speed lines connect back into our data network and the Internet.

I'm not sure whether that can be used at home or who provides that .. But my cousin in cisco has a laptop enabled wifi point at home

Charley

Just Do It
Wi-Fi operates by using signals much like those used by many cordless phones today. However, Wi-Fi enabled devices are designed to transmit data at very high speeds. It receives a signal from Wi-Fi enabled devices and connects wirelessly to high-speed phone lines using base stations called, access points. Using wireless signals, Wi-Fi connects to these access points, which connect to high-speed phone lines. The high-speed lines connect back into the data network and the Internet.

I'm not sure whether that can be used at home or who provides that .. But my cousin in cisco has a laptop enabled wifi point at home

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Setting up your Home WiFi connection is as easy as digen said. Just get a wireless broadband router and a WiFi PCI card for each PC and a WiFi PCMCIA card for each notebook. Please do not go in for 802.11b cards, opt for 802.11g if you have a good connection or routinely transfer data between your home computers.

Once you install the hardware, all you have to do is plug your broadband connection into your router, and then configure the router for access to the Internet and secure your network and computers, and you're all done. A good 802.11g Access Point (AP) is the D-Link DWL-2000AP+ and I think it costs somewhere around 5k-6k, and you a good WiFi PCI card is the D-Link DWL-G520+ that costs somewhere in the range of 3k-4k. Dont know about PCMCIA cards though. But keep in mind that sometimes its best to get the AP and the PCI card from the same manufacturer to avoid compatibility problems or issues where you dont get maximum throughput if you mix and match. Hope this helps.

theraven

Technomancer
cr@p my tutorials are gathering dust there man !
wtf ! doesnt anyone read them ?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15577

and u dun "NEED" a router for this .. tho however it is an added advantage

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Not really, raven. I did very much read your post and its one of the most comprehensive WiFi tutorial at the forum. But then, having a router definitely has its advantages, like you said. He wanted the cost and I gave him an approximation. BTW, that link you posted is for the Sharing a Net Connection over a LAN. Dont you mean the WiFi thread here?

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15578

digen

Youngling
and u dun "NEED" a router for this .. tho however it is an added advantage

I hope the above wasnt intended for me,even if it was no problem.I believe I was clear in making the distinction,a router and/or a access point with the "/" in the middle.
digen said:
You will need a router/access point along with a wifi card for each pc.

theraven

Technomancer
nah my post wasnt for either of u but for the thread starter ..
yes i agree the router has its obvious advantages but it adds 6k to the total cost ( for any decent router )
well either ways .... i guess he knows what to do now :D
cheers m8's

@enoonmai .. i know what i posted :D
he wants to share a net connection and therefore in my tut there are various ways ( INCLUDING usage of a router) to share a net connectiong
the wifi one is just a guide for those who tend to ask "What is WiFi"
infact that was something i had posted long long back right here and you'll see the same if u search for "What is wifi"
thread starter was sujhtom or something of the sort

Deep

Version 2.0
multi said:
well i am residing in gujarat.
i want to know that can any one access the net using wifi @ home , i mean for his desktop .
if yes , then how much it cost , what he may need for that with prices in Rupees .
hey raabo & deep if u know , plz let me know :?:

get d-link or any company routher (I am using DLink DI-724P+ which costs 6200 Rs.)

plugin in the wire from ur ISP in it...

connect one wire from router to pc...

type *192.168.0.1 (or whatever default ip of the router is...99% its same)

open admin interface....set your coonection type PPPOE, static ip etc..

save settings...

that's it

whole process should not take more than 10 mins...

cheers
Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom