Can Faulty IDE Cable Be The Cause Of Slowness in Windows Installation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
Hello Guys ,

Facing this problem for a really long time now ! Purchased a Sony DVD-RW about 2-3 months back and attached it to my Samsung DVD-RW in the system using same IDE cable ( i purchased a new cable at that time .... i m still having the old one which i used with Samsung DVD-RW !) .

Since then , whenever i try to install windows , whether its Vista or XP , it doesn't take less than a hour and a half for the installation to get completed ! Earlier , it took a max of 30 mins for both operating systems !

I tried each and every method like configuring the BIOS for the best settings , PIO and DMA mode etc ! Moreover , I disconnected my new Sony DVD-RW and tried to install windows like i did earlier with my previous hardware ( only i didn't revert to the old cable ) . I thought now installation will be fine but the problem still persists !

So , i want to ask whether the new IDE cable can be at fault in this case ?

Waiting for a quick reply to get the matter resolved !

Thnx in anticipation !

BBThumbHealer :)

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
As far as the possibility is concerned, the answer is a definite Yes. Working with and on hundreds of computers over the years, I come across this problem from time to time.

However, whether it is the cause of your problem is another matter. Have you tried copying files from a CD/DVD to your hard disk after you installed the OS? If so, did the copying speed seem normal? Have you tried installing other things - like the mobo driver - from the driver disc?

If you've narrowed down your suspects to the new IDE cable, I'm rather surprised that you have not yet tried installing the OS using the old cable. That would either confirm or eliminate the cable as the cause of so much trouble.

OP
BBThumbHealer

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
Thnx Pimpom for ur reply ..... Suspected it just a few hours ago ! :p ... anyways , will try reinstalling the OS tomorrow ! But still , can anyone confirm for my doubt ?

acewin

Point Blanc
faulty IDE cable can get you nightmares.
Change it as soon as possible you find.
THey come only in Rs 25.

It can definately cause low data rate and in most case no data transfer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom