Can ADSL modem be used for dial-up connection also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravind_72

Broken In
I am using broadband connection from BSNL with ADSL modem. I don't have dial up modem and hence i am using my moodem thru USB port. Is it possible to use it for dial-up connection? Please help.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Dont have a clue as to what you mean by dial-up. Cos ADSL is a broadband thru phone lines. So why would you want to use the modem for dial-up purposes ? Sorry mate you've completely lost me. Could you provide more information as to what your trying to do, perhaps we can help better then.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
perhasp.. i can clear it on my way... i am asking the same question but with a little modification...

Can we send or Receive FAX useing an ADSL internet connection (MODEM) like we used to do in our old 56K dialup modem....

mario_pant

In the zone
forget it.....
the modems do not have any capability to Dial any thing... as they are just recognised as a LAN device on your computer.... so ur computer does not know it is a modem!

theraven

Technomancer
alright since everyone has just said no ( including me ) lemme clarify this to u
as stated above by mario the pc detects it as a lan device
hence it has no drect access to your telephone line
APART from this if u realise isp's ( atleast some ) install a sort of splitter with ur modem
one line in
one phone out
one modem out

this is not simply so u have a parallel line
this splitter also has a filter in it which segregates the data channel and voice channel from ur telephone line
since adsl modems tend to make a high pitch noise this is a good idea obviously.

atleast thats what it says in the theory of dsl :p
so i guess these 2 points should be enough for everyone to understand as to "WHY AN ADSL MODEM CANNOT BE USED TO ACCESS PHONE LINES ( to make calls, dial up, fax etc. )" and as to "WHY A DIALUP MODEM CANNOT BE USED AS AN ADSL MODEM "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom