Calculus created in India 250 years before Newton: study

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpblog

Banned
Researchers in England may have finally settled the centuries-old debate over who gets credit for the creation of calculus.

For years, English scientist Isaac Newton and German philosopher Gottfried Leibniz both claimed credit for inventing the mathematical system sometime around the end of the seventeenth century.

Now, a team from the universities of Manchester and Exeter says it knows where the true credit lies — and it's with someone else completely.

The "Kerala school," a little-known group of scholars and mathematicians in fourteenth century India, identified the "infinite series" — one of the basic components of calculus — around 1350.

Dr. George Gheverghese Joseph, a member of the research team, says the findings should not diminish Newton or Leibniz, but rather exalt the non-European thinkers whose contributions are often ignored.

"The beginnings of modern maths is usually seen as a European achievement but the discoveries in medieval India between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries have been ignored or forgotten," he said. "The brilliance of Newton's work at the end of the seventeenth century stands undiminished — especially when it came to the algorithms of calculus.

[ View (via my blog) ] [ View ]

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Go India Go ... :D ..

Ok now that question which poped into my mind now is .. What have I done for India ? :shock: .. nothing till now :shock: ..

Any one here did anything to make India proud?

phew I will just stop thinking for now. I am feeling very guilty.. :( Will write more thoughts later.....

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
karnivore said:
Common, search before u post.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65517
There's nothing he can do as the search facility provided by the thinkdigit forum is lackluster.I do not want to offend though.

codred

Broken In
ssdivisiongermany1933 said:
What a great nation india was .....

well m not happy with the last word "was"..!!!!

INDIA "IS" A GREAT NATION guys, lets not forget that.. if India gets the required resources on-time & with the right people, then our beloved country is second to none !!

ANY COMMENTS..!!!???

karnivore

in your face..
^^ Whats so new or great about it. Any country, if has the right resource at the right time, with the right people, will become great.

codred

Broken In
but indians on an average are extremely sincere than other people on the globe [of course only next to japs n chinese]....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom