Cabinet Fan - Extra 4-pin connector ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodydoc

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

My cabinet came with a fan fixed at the rear, in the space below the SMPS. This fan does not have the 3-pin connector of the type needed to get power from my ATX motherboard, and would need to be powered by the SMPS.

For power, there are two wires (red and black) extending from the fan. These 2 wires then are linked into a standard 4-pin connector (of the type that comes with the 24-pin ATX power supply). However, the wires of this 4-pin connector are attached at the other end to another 4-pin connector (only this one has 4 pin sockets, while the first one has 4 pins).

So I am not clear which of the two connectors should be used for to connect to the SMPS. Can someone explain why there are 2 4-pin connectors for the fan, while all other devices (CD-ROM, HDD etc) need only one ?

Thanks in advance.

Vishal

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
The wire that u are describing seems to be a Y-connector. It is designed that way so that u can connect ur fan to the power supply while still making sure that there is another power connector for some future component that u might add. And the 4pin power connectors are usually called Molex connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom