Bye Bye Ubuntu... I shall miss you... NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first started using linux an year back. I started with Ubuntu 7.04. It was one of the most enjoyable operating systems I ever used. A few weeks back, I decided to install the newer Long Time Support Version, ubuntu hardy heron. Its quite unstable and often laggy on my system. Unlike an year back, when I had no OS but ubuntu to use, because I was a newbie, times are different now. I am an experienced linux user, and ubuntu is far below my standards.

So its time to ditch ubuntu for good.

Bye Bye Ubuntu. Had a nice time with you.

I am moving to Debian Sid now, and you may see more posts about my experiences with Sid now.

So you guys think I made the right move ?

I am shifting to Debian-Sid-KDE+IceWM from tomorrow.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
www.debian.org said:
"sid" is subject to massive changes and in-place library updates. This can result in a very "unstable" system which contains packages that cannot be installed due to missing libraries, dependencies that cannot be fulfilled etc. Use it at your own risk!
see the bold text :lol: and decide

chandru.in

In the zone
@MetalheadGautham

Moving to Debian is definitely not a bad idea. But I'm just interested, what kinda instability did you face with Hardy Heron? Also, what is ur system config?

Anyway Debian is a good choice (any Linux distro for that matter is).

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
ts quite unstable and often laggy on my system. Unlike an year back, when I had no OS but ubuntu to use, because I was a newbie, times are different now. I am an experienced linux user, and ubuntu is far below my standards.

May the force be with you. But considering the system you have I would expect lag. As far as standards are concerned, its more like you outgrowing Ubuntu than Ubuntu deteriorating in performance. Have fun with Debian and I definitely recommend testing over Sid.

chandru.in

In the zone
I really find the "testing" word in Debian pretty misleading. I have rarely experienced any form of instability in it. :)

see the bold text :lol: and decide
Sid?! I think Testing would be a better option :)
well, from what I heard, Experimental is the one which gets REALLY unstable packages. Sid gets those which are released by the vendors as said to be stable, but not fully confirmed on debian yet.

Besides, doesn't ubuntu just fork Debian Sid packages, along with some experimental packages and repacks them for its own use in Hardy ?
@MetalheadGautham

Moving to Debian is definitely not a bad idea. But I'm just interested, what kinda instability did you face with Hardy Heron? Also, what is ur system config?

Anyway Debian is a good choice (any Linux distro for that matter is).
Lets see...

1. Not able to Hibernate

2. Not able to use firefox while installing software even via commandline

3. Nautilus takes 4 seconds to open

4. Can't open Kaffeine and play 480p video with full postprocessing while Konqueror and Firefox are running

5. Epiphany-Gecko often crashes without any reason while multiple tabs are open.

6. My nearest software source, IIT Madras, has no source packages.

Configuration:

P4 2.66GHz
256MB DDR1 400MHz RAM
Intel GMA 900 Graphics
RealTek ALC880 Audio
Intel 915GLVGA chipset

May the force be with you. But considering the system you have I would expect lag. As far as standards are concerned, its more like you outgrowing Ubuntu than Ubuntu deteriorating in performance. Have fun with Debian and I definitely recommend testing over Sid.
I guess you are right. I really HAVE outgrown Ubuntu. But the fact still remains that Feisty was better than Hardy to me.

I know a guy who has Debian Sid on a 1.5GHz P3 with 128mb RAM running KDE3.5 without lag full speed. No crashes.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^
Ubuntu packages are newer version
Yeah FF is named as iceweasel and its too is old version.

Lenny(testing) is the one u must trya

sganesh

Journeyman
hi ,
I ve slow internet connection so i cant download deb linux,is to possible to buy or get free dvd,i wannt to know if any store or shop selling linux dvd??

NucleusKore

TheSaint
hi ,
I ve slow internet connection so i cant download deb linux,is to possible to buy or get free dvd,i wannt to know if any store or shop selling linux dvd??
Link deleted, look like they have mutated :S

Try this
*www.roseindia.net/linux/

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
I guess the probs are mostly due to your RAM. What is the amount of SWAP space you have given? Hibernation would need lot more SWAP as good amount of your SWAP space would have already been used by running apps.

Slow downs also may be due to your RAM as 256 MB is the minimum requirement for Hardy. But I agree Ubuntu is heavier than more traditional distros as it attempts to be more friendly for newbies.

Anyway happy computing with the lighter parent of Ubuntu. :)

^^
Ubuntu packages are newer version
Yeah FF is named as iceweasel and its too is old version.

Lenny(testing) is the one u must trya
explain more clearly please ?

I need packages which are about as stable/new as ubuntu, which I find has a moderately stable mix of latest packages.

I guess the probs are mostly due to your RAM. What is the amount of SWAP space you have given? Hibernation would need lot more SWAP as good amount of your SWAP space would have already been used by running apps.
Used RAM: 242,908KB
Free RAM: 3,900KB
Used Swap: 169,572KB
Free Swap: 328,400KB

This, IMO is more than enough, and must hibernate.
If I hibernate, Ubuntu locks session instead and leaves it there.
Slow downs also may be due to your RAM as 256 MB is the minimum requirement for Hardy.
I have exactly that much - 256 MB.
And hardy is slow.
Besides, as I said, I know a guy who uses a debian-sid-kde system on a 1.5GHz P3 with 128mb ram and its faster and more responsive than my Gnome.

His disto(a customised debian), can be found on sourceforge, and its name is Beejex Linux.
But I agree Ubuntu is heavier than more traditional distros as it attempts to be more friendly for newbies.

Anyway happy computing with the lighter parent of Ubuntu. :)
I am a newbie no more.
And there is hardly any difference between friendliness of Vector Linux and Ubuntu.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Just to tell you something, Debian (testing or sid) does not have the whole of gnome 2.22 yet :p

My suggestion, do a base testing install, set up apt-pinning, and only get what you want from sid..

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
well, from what I heard, Experimental is the one which gets REALLY unstable packages. Sid gets those which are released by the vendors as said to be stable, but not fully confirmed on debian yet.

Sid gets the what from the where? Read the below quote again.

The code name for Debian's development distribution is "sid", aliased to "unstable". Most of the development work that is done in Debian, is uploaded to this distribution. This distribution will never get released; instead, packages from it will propagate into testing and then into a real release.

Please note that security updates for "unstable" distribution are not managed by the security team. Hence, "unstable" does not get security updates in a timely manner. For more information please see the Security Team's FAQ.

"sid" is subject to massive changes and in-place library updates. This can result in a very "unstable" system which contains packages that cannot be installed due to missing libraries, dependencies that cannot be fulfilled etc. Use it at your own risk!

Besides, doesn't ubuntu just fork Debian Sid packages, along with some experimental packages and repacks them for its own use in Hardy ?
No it doesn't .

Lets see...

1. Not able to Hibernate

2. Not able to use firefox while installing software even via commandline

3. Nautilus takes 4 seconds to open

4. Can't open Kaffeine and play 480p video with full postprocessing while Konqueror and Firefox are running

5. Epiphany-Gecko often crashes without any reason while multiple tabs are open.

Is it just possible that your system doesn't have the necessary power to run whatever you are trying to do. In other words how about adding a bit of memory to your rig? but then again you have decided to change so it should make no difference.

Besides, as I said, I know a guy who uses a debian-sid-kde system on a 1.5GHz P3 with 128mb ram and its faster and more responsive than my Gnome.

I can run a KDE based install of Nimblex on far less requirements. Which takes probably lesser requirements than what your friend does on Sid. Nonetheless my point is this, stating that a distro sucks without even meeting its minimum Requirements it quite silly. For your further reading.

*help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

I guess you are right. I really HAVE outgrown Ubuntu. But the fact still remains that Feisty was better than Hardy to me.
Again looking at the above link I believe its more than clear that probably Hardy wouldn't work swell on your system. Did you check out the Hardy for Speed Guide I linked you on IRC. He runs a rig with Ubuntu on much much lower requirements.

If you're looking for the best efficient way for your computing experience and don't mind using your l337 techniques why not go try something like Crux, Arch or Gentoo? Ubuntu is definitely not meant for you.

Just to tell you something, Debian (testing or sid) does not have the whole of gnome 2.22 yet :p

My suggestion, do a base testing install, set up apt-pinning, and only get what you want from sid..
I don't care if Debian Sid has Gnome 2.22 or not.
All I need is KDE3.5, and be as far away from gnome libraries as possible.:p

And yes, I am going to install Lenny-KDE and see if its satisfactory.

@FilledVoid:
1. I don't want to get any more upgrades to my system now.:mad:

2. Whats the point of stripping ubuntu down for a guy like me who has anyway enough experience to construct a better distro using the same root as ubuntu, with even more features and customised to my needs ?

3. Yup Hardy won't work swell on my system. Not my fault. Nor Hardy's. So bye bye hardy.

4. If you were in my shoes what would you do ?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
1. I don't want to get any more upgrades to my system now.

Don't upgrade. Upgrades are evil.

2. Whats the point of stripping ubuntu down for a guy like me who has anyway enough experience to construct a better distro using the same root as ubuntu, with even more features and customised to my needs ?
Which brings me to the million dollar question. Shouldn't you have asked yourself this before even tryign Hardy.

3. Yup Hardy won't work swell on my system. Not my fault. Nor Hardy's. So bye bye hardy.
Exactly . Its not a distros fault that the system can't run it.

4. If you were in my shoes what would you do ?
I would install Arch or Gentoo .

praka123

left this forum longback
I really find the "testing" word in Debian pretty misleading. I have rarely experienced any form of instability in it. :)

testing is almost "stable" .

well ,@OP : you should go for Sidux or Debian Lenny :) remember Ubuntu is better reg h/w support .

I think if you are for speed ,go for Archlinux ,no more confusion.enjoy how "pacman" works and its speed.

I am on Debian Sid+experimental(apt pinning).current version of Gnome is 2.22.2 .daily updates are like 20MB or more most days :lol: stay away from Sid!

what you would like to do:

Install Debian Lenny.then apt-pin Debian Sid and Experimental repositories with very low preferences(/etc/apt/preferences).

I recommend to install upstart,iceweasel3(apt-get -t experimental foo) from experimental repo.same way for unstable(sid) too.

metal said:
I know a guy who has Debian Sid on a 1.5GHz P3 with 128mb RAM running KDE3.5 without lag full speed. No crashes.
no. :twisted: dont expect things like this!well then he may be using DFS(debian from scratch).

Don't upgrade. Upgrades are evil.
I run on limited funds. I hope you know what it means.
Which brings me to the million dollar question. Shouldn't you have asked yourself this before even tryign Hardy.
I expected Hardy to be like Feisty - Fast and usable.
Exactly . Its not a distros fault that the system can't run it.
But as I said, its not the system's fault either.
And in this case, how can simple features like Hibernate not run ?
I am talking about the same system where I once ran Serious Sam, Firefox and Notepad at the same time(cheat codes browsing:oops:) and I experienced no lag comparable to this one. Back then it was slow, yes, but not 100% unresponsive.
would install Arch or Gentoo .
I was thinking of arch, but someone prompted me into going CRUX instead.
In about a month or so later, when I am settled with Debian Lenny/Sid and sufficiently edit my Joomla! based website/blog, I can get enough free time to experiment with distros. So I am making a project to get the best distro within 1GB of disc space. For this, CRUX has been chosen by me as the base system.

testing is almost "stable" .

well ,@OP : you should go for Sidux or Debian Lenny :) remember Ubuntu is better reg h/w support .

I think if you are for speed ,go for Archlinux ,no more confusion.enjoy how "pacman" works and its speed.

I am on Debian Sid+experimental(apt pinning).current version of Gnome is 2.22.2 .daily updates are like 20MB or more most days :lol: stay away from Sid!

what you would like to do:

Install Debian Lenny.then apt-pin Debian Sid and Experimental repositories with very low preferences(/etc/apt/preferences).

I recommend to install upstart,iceweasel3(apt-get -t experimental foo) from experimental repo.same way for unstable(sid) too.
1. WTH is Sidux ? No more derivatives for me. I was offered a preconfigured Debian KDE distro by a guy who uses it on a system even weaker than mine, but it has good themes, etc. I refused. I am making my own system this time round.

2. I intend to use KDE and IceWM. Gnome is too n00bish for me.

3. I am installing CRUX in a month. Maybe that or Arch.

4. Daily updates of 20mb ? No problem. Ubuntu also gives same amount.

5. I guess Lenny + Apt-Pin Sid will be the best way for me then...

6. Does IceWeasel compile with QT ?

7. I decided its time to abuse
Code:
sudo apt-get source -b package-name
from now onwards.

no. :twisted: dont expect things like this!well then he may be using DFS(debian from scratch).
He just uses a custom kernel thats all. And some simple hacks.
His distro can be found on www.beejex.co.cc

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
Then when are we going to get the new distro made by MetalHeadGautham?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom