Buying A Sata II Hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay4u

In the zone
My friend wants to buy two SATA HDD and put it in raid. I sugested it the SEAGATE 7200.9 SATA II 160 GB model with 8Mb buffer..... But the problem is i am unable to get it anywhere in mumbai. Can somebody please point it out to me as to how can i get it here in mumbai.... the model number is ST3160812AS....

Also if possible please write down other alternatives as i am only familiar with seagate products... The products must be in similiar price range +/- 1000 bucks.... and SATA II and 5 years warranty.... Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

magnet

Youngling
seriously speaking get a hitachi sata 2 hdd......i tried samsung 2 disc.....bad sectors arised......then seaget one.......it develioped bad sectors...now i have hitach sata 2 250gbdisc..........

got it for 5.65k through comp selection(also got service centre details)

prices are ard 1k mor down now.........model u can get via hitachi site if u cant ill find it for u........

also the main disc on raid is always a low gb disc mainly ppl keep...i guess to save money....btw western digital is favourite for overclockers for it......but the fastest speed 10.2k speed one...cost bomb ard 6k for 36gb

OP
jay4u

jay4u

In the zone
is it the hitachi desktar model k750... can u pls give me the exact model number....... and does it have NCQ and backward compatible...... And where exactly is the service center in mumbai... near laminton road....

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Will SATA II really make a diff. ??? Get a higher capacity SATA drive .. that too should have 8 MB buffer ... preferably WD or Seagate ...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
deathvirus_me said:
Will SATA II really make a diff. ??? Get a higher capacity SATA drive .. that too should have 8 MB buffer ... preferably WD or Seagate ...
How do you get 26A in 12V rails with Antec SP350. As far as know, it is only 20 A (10+10). Sorry if I am wrong.

Eazy

Journeyman
jay4u said:
is it the hitachi desktar model k750... can u pls give me the exact model number....... and does it have NCQ and backward compatible...... And where exactly is the service center in mumbai... near laminton road....

Last week I bought the Hitachi SATA II 250GB T7K250 HDD for 4650/- from Prime ABGB at Lamington Road. This has NCQ and it is running on my old ASUS P4 board as a SATA I drive at the moment without any problems. Dont know about the location of service centre but I would give it to Prime in case of a problem.

The SATA II drives seem to be supplied set as SATA I to avoid problems with running them as SATA II on a SATA I controller.

To set the Hitachi drive to run as SATA II you have to make this change with Hitachi's software "Hitachi Feature Tools" which can be downloaded from......
*www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

WARNING IN HITACHI's DOWNLOAD PAGE......

Warning!: Switching your drive to support 3.0Gb/s, or enabling spread spectrum clocking and then using it, may render your drive unusable in a system that can't support these functions.

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
@ janitha

*www.antec.com/specs/SP350_spe.html

Here u go ... according to the Antec spedcs.. the SP2.0 350W does 10A across 12V1 , and 15A across 12V2 .... thats 25A across 12V ... almost 26A .. my bad ....

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
deathvirus_me said:
@ janitha

Here u go ... according to the Antec spedcs.. the SP2.0 350W does 10A across 12V1 , and 15A across 12V2 .... thats 25A across 12V ... almost 26A .. my bad ....

Yes, you are correct and I was mistaken.

In this context, I would like to know whether it is through the normal 20/24 pin mobo connector that the two 12V rails supply power. In other words, can I replace my ordinary single rail PSU that I am curently using (with A8N-E), with the dual rail PSU? Please clarify since I plan to buy a better one. And what are the approximate street prices of 350 W and 400 W Antec SMPSs? I feel the online stores charge too much.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Eazy said:
Last week I bought the Hitachi SATA II 250GB T7K250 HDD for 4650/- from Prime ABGB at Lamington Road. This has NCQ and it is running on my old ASUS P4 board as a SATA I drive at the moment without any problems. Dont know about the location of service centre but I would give it to Prime in case of a problem.

The SATA II drives seem to be supplied set as SATA I to avoid problems with running them as SATA II on a SATA I controller.

To set the Hitachi drive to run as SATA II you have to make this change with Hitachi's software "Hitachi Feature Tools" which can be downloaded from......
*www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

WARNING IN HITACHI's DOWNLOAD PAGE......

Warning!: Switching your drive to support 3.0Gb/s, or enabling spread spectrum clocking and then using it, may render your drive unusable in a system that can't support these functions.

It was about 6 months back that I bought my Hitachi 80 GB SATA II HDD. When used, it was shown as SATA I and when I searched their web site, it was known that the disks are shipped as SATA I due to compatibility problems and that it could be upgraded to SATA II by using the tool mentioned above. I dounloaded the Feature Tool and the Manual and I came to know that to use it I need a FDD. Having abandoned the FDD long back, I did not want to fit it in my new system. Today when I happened to visit their site again, there was a CD Image of the same SW. So I downloaded it and upgraded the disc successfully to SATA II using it. When rebooted, NCQ also became enabled.

When I tested the drive speed it was
Theoretical Limit -300 MBPS
Sustained Speed -60 MBPS

Previously it was
Theoretical Limit -150 MBPS
Sustained Speed -60 MBPS

So it seems that for practical reasons, it is of absolutely no use! We can only boast of 3GBPS.

mohit sharma

Journeyman
one query :: i had non SATA hdd samsung 40 gb 7200 rpm , can i be and use sata or sata 2 hdd with the old hard drive simultaneosly i.e. on other IDE ?????

Last edited:

MegaD3th3K

Broken In
wht is raid, ide ...
how do i find wat (ATA,SATA I, SATA II) my hdd is?
wat is sustained speed? is it something like wat nero shows when copying CD/DVD?
How do i find the sustained speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom