buying a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

achanak

Right off the assembly line
Hi

I am considering buying an ACER laptop with Linux, Mobile Semperon 2800+ which is advertised for Rs. 32.5 k. I plan to install Win XP on it and use it for normal office work - documents, e-mails, presentations etc.

Request your opinions on two aspects:

1. Are there any hardware compatability issues in installing Win XP on the machine?
2. Have heard that Acer's after sales service is poor. How much is this true?

Would also love to hear the experiences from anybody who has used this.

Thanks
Achanak

suave_guy

pedal to metal
u know whats really scary about acer...it is said that acer laptops always have one part malfunctioning...its can be optical drive or card reader on any other thing....they do end up with one or two parts not working....in most cases its the optical drive....

having said that i must say that acer laptops are decently priced but again their after sales service is so so....

i think u shud consider...dell is also very decently priced for different kind of users...look for their low end latitude series laptops plus their after sales servicing is one of the best....

sony and HP/compaq laptops are somewhat overpriced.....

ENjoy...

devilhead_satish

In the zone
Buy the Acer Ferrari without a second thought. But then your budget is 35k. go for ACI or Zenith.
*reviews.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2004/05/acer-ferrari-350x330.jpg

suave_guy

pedal to metal
what i dont like about acer ferrai is that it has no widescreen, i mean if acer wanted this model to be cool and ultra sleek then it shud have widescreen.....

zenith seriously is at the best an average performer....their battery life is not impressive.....and ACI again has average after sale servicing....

one shud definately give importance to after sales servicing in case pf laptops coz no matter how carefully we use them, they are still prone to problems....

ENjoy....

OP
A

achanak

Right off the assembly line
thanks. i have a dell laptop at present. however, the keyboard has given me huge problems. i have had to replace it thrice in three years. twice it was in the warranty period, once with my own money - which set me back by 4k and still the problem is not resolved.

achanak

Journeyman
32.5k is very low for a decent Laptop these days. But for your work and for your needs, if you are getting a laptop from ACER at that price with Linux, go for it. AND why install windows, try to learn Linux.. :)

rohanbee

Padawan
Acer Ferrari is more looks than anything. Please for gods sake don't throw your money away like that. If the need be give it to me.
Regarding your Dell problems. That is quite unfortunate. But i still think they are the best.
+ i think you should wait and jack up your budget a bit before you plan to buy a new laptop.

sumitava_b

In the zone
In india does dell give online discount coupon? In other countries, I am seeing those coupons except india. What's the reason? :?:

rohanbee

Padawan
In india you get nothing for free or actually discounted. Here when the retailer says discount usually means a measily drop in actual price. In the Us its quite different.Discounts over there are huge!! I guess that is because the markets are highly develpoed and the consumers are quite well informed.

shaunak

Tux Fan
in india when they say 0% intrest they do this trick: if u pay outrate (directly) they actually charge u less. thus even with out intrest they end up charging u more.

@achnak
i hear acer aftersales are improving and u should have no trouble.

rohanbee

Padawan
My first desktop was actually an Acer. In my town the biggest dealer of computer hardware had Acer now even he has shifted to HP/Compaq...........

sumitava_b

In the zone
In coming month, I am going to have a dell inspiron6000 from dellindia. As Dell is a direct selling company, what will be the payment process? How many days they will take to deliver the laptop after getting the payment? Can anyone (especially who already had an experience with dellindia) please elaborate the process?? :?:

And last but not the least, is EMI option available to pay the price in dellindia after some down payment? I saw some financial option link in dell india, but they were enough complicated to confuse me. :p

rohanbee

Padawan
As far as i know it should not take more than 10 days after payment. I think there are all sorts of payment options credit card, DD, cheque. You need to ask them for a quotation and then they will call you and these things could be discussed with their rep on the phone.

EMI is only for verifyed business customers. I think there is a complicated registration procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom