Buying a low-end laptop - pl. clarify my doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I am planning to buy a low-end laptop and have whittled my choices the following three:

1. IBM Thinkpad R51 (2887NQ2) with Celeron-M 1.4 GHz processor, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, 15" screen, Combo drive. Costs about 31000 + taxes

2. Compaq Presario V2374AP with Celeron-M 1.4 GHz processor, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, 15" screen, Combo drive. Costs about 32500 + taxes

3. HP nx6110 with Celeron-M 1.5 GHz processor, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, 15" screen, Combo drive, Wifi & Bluetooth. Costs about 34000 + taxes

My doubts:
1. How much will it cost to upgrade from 256 to 512 MB RAM
2. Will there be a cost reduction if I ask for CD Reader Drive instead of a combo?
3. If I go for options 1 or 2 and plan to get Wifi/Bluetooth later, how much will each cost for the laptop (Wifi through PCMCIA Card, Bluetooth through USB dongle)?
4. The HP laptop has 2 USB ports as per HP site and the Compaq model has 3 USB ports. What about the thinkpad? Could not find info on the net...

Thanks in advance,
Arun

a_medico

Chillum Baba
no exactly ans to ur Qs ... but still..

i'd go for IBM model... it is known to give best results amongst the three...

few RAM upgrades costs around 1500-2500 Rs .... but IBM might cost a bit more (must be given on imb india webiste)

I think there wudnt be any cost reduction..and there wundt be such option available...every notebook these days comes with combo... i suggest u must stick to combo vonly. it is a MUST. DVDs are here to stay..

IBM shud have atleast 2.. all new notebooks have 2 usb slots alteast... there is one device by which u can extend the slots if need...aint that costly i heard...i am sure someone will quote its price in this thread..

best luck :)

ps - i am always against compaq. always keep on hearing compliants from lotsa my pals.

ps2- one of my pal complains against HP.. he aint happy with it..

ps3- vaios and dells always rock but they are usually out of budget...especially vaios.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Okay, so I have narrowed it down further to HP and IBM models...

I dont NEED a DVD drive since I have one on my home PC and I rarely use it except for the DVDs from Digit & other magazines... If necessary, I can always copy to the PC and then transfer it by LAN...

If I am not wrong, I can get Wifi access by adding a PCMCIA Wifi card for about Rs 2000 and Bluetooth access by adding a USB Bluetooth dongle for about Rs 600. Please confirm...

Arun

KoRn

In the zone
Hey guys can u give me the price of this lappy with configs given below(preferably ibm.hcl/compaq:
intel celeron 1.6Ghz,256mb ram,combo drive,bluetooth,40gb,mouse port,64 mb ati card(can support most games in low graphics) can u give me the individual and total price of each.
the next choice is a p4 1.6Ghz,256mb ram,ati 64mb,60gb,combo drive.
please give me the total price also

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
@sakumar79 pal i juz bought HP x6110 and its working fine m very much satisfied wid it.even ibm is gud and eva i had the option either ibm or hp but i liked hp over ibm so bought this one.and i guess u hav a gud internet connection as both ibm and hp dont give drivers CD so u need to find out ur model in www.hp.com and then need to download it which is really bugging it almost took 2 hours but as now i hav writed that drivers in the CD so no problems now in the future so u can do the same.
@chwamiki well i dun think u'll get a celeron lappy with dedicated gpu.dedicated gpu comes in high end lappy.if u can spend 45k then check for LG lw40 with 1.6 centrino,40gb,256ddr2,14" widescreen,64MB ATI X600 dedicated grapix card.

if still u get a celeron with with gpu then i guess it shud cost u around 40k.but i dun think it will make much diff in playin games.

KoRn

In the zone
ok but...

thanx for the gr8 info but i can speng 40k cuz dats my budget so if i get an p4 and i buy the lg lappy wat graphics card and motherboard has it got i mean wat r its configs and wat gra does ur hp have and wat r its configs and price.please help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom