buying a graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

tejesh

Broken In
Hey u geeks out there,
help me to buy a graphics card.
I personally want a 128MB ATi or GeForce card for around 5k.
Is ATi a better choice considering d price(& d performance)?
I have a 2.6 GHz (HT),512MB DDR400 RAM.
Will dat be a good configuration for playing many(if not all!) new games?[/b]

veer

Broken In
Get a 9550 for that price.

The 9550 is clearly better at DX9 titles than the competing 5200 from Nvidia. Until Nvidia comes out with a low end card based on the NV4x series, it can be said without reservation that ATi has the more compelling part at the low end of the market with this RV360 derivative.
*www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/tul9550/7.html

You wont be able to FarCry or Doom 3 at great frame rates but should be acceptable. Splinter Cell and UT should be more playable.

theraven

Technomancer
again wouldnt recommend either of the cards
rather a 9600pro for ard 7k
its a better choice..
if u can squeeze in the extra 2k

theraven

Technomancer
a 9550 is comparable to an fx 5200
i THINK
both are dx9 cards but very low power
the good cards to upgrade to would be the 9600 pro as i mentioned or an nvidia 5700
still ur choice ;)

veer

Broken In
Ofcourse if he can spend more, the best option would be to get a used 9500 which has 8 pixel pipelines and is usually better than a 9600 series card.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
That is if he can find one .........lol. Those 9500 and 9700's are a antiquities these days ! The only ppl with 9700pros are probably the smedia ppl who r chargin arnd 16-17k for those !

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
The 9550 is a misnomer. The first time I read the name, I thought that it was an update to the stellar 9500.
Both 9700 and 9500 (pro) are great cards, but really hard to find, and, as blade said, overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom