Build Ubuntu like Gentoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I just found this: *julien.danjou.info/article-apt-build.html

This is very similar to "emerge" of gentoo.. Downloads source+dependancies, and compiles it and then installs it! Im trying it out right now..

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Only the linux(kernel) will offer substantial benefit if optimized for the correct pc architecture.otherwise :-|

Instead u should try programs like prelink and preload.tune prelink with cron to do prelink for faster responses.similarly preload too serves. :)

OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. i think if you compile from source according to your architecture, you WILL notice some improvements! Anyway, this wont break anything, so no harm trying! I compiled some packages with it.. Right now compiling firefox :D

eddie

El mooooo
IMHO you will just increase the size of your install by doing what is explained in the article while gaining a minuscule performance. This process does not disable static libraries and thus compiles & installs both dynamic & static libraries on your system. This will not break the packages but will increasez the size of installation to almost double. Usually all the user centric distros do not install static libraries thus keeping the size smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom