BSNL to offer broadband connectivity at 2 mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
---------------
*www.dailyindia.com/show/93096.php/BSNL-to-provide-broadband-connectivity-at-2-mbps
*www.hindu.com/2006/12/15/stories/2006121504941900.htm
---------------
*bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm
---------------
New Delhi, Dec 14 (IANS) State-run telecom major Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) is all set to offer an 'aggressive' broadband plan having a speed of upto 2 mbps, Communications and IT Minister Dayanidhi Maran said Thursday evening here.In an effort to boost the growth of broadband connections in the country, the minister today held a round-table conference with the chief executives of Indian telecom companies.

'Broadband penetration in the country is quite modest at about 3 million connections. To trigger growth in this sector, BSNL has come out with an aggressive plan of providing 5 million broadband connections in the year 2007 with a minimum download speed of 2 mbps (megabit per second),' the minister said."In this round-table conference I have asked the private operators to roll out similar plans for broadband connectivity," Maran told reporters on the sidelines of the conference.

Some of the big names who attended the conference are Anil Ambani of Reliance Infocom, Ramalinga Raju of Satyam, Asim Ghosh, managing director of Hutchison Essar.

'We will initially start with 1 Mbps and gradually increase it to 2 Mbps. We may probably bring out the service from January next year,' said A.K. Sinha, BSNL's chairman and managing director.

All operators currently provide broadband connectivity with a maximum downloading speed of upto 256 kbps (kilobit per second).

Last edited:

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
whao!!! is it a dream????
I just cant imagine the speed of 2Mbps on my computer. It will be a miracle.
I will upgrade to this 2mbps plan if it cost anything less than 1000 per month.

hailgautam

Youngling
cost will the most important consideration as long as they are not brought down the penetration is going to be low

rajaryan_13

Broken In
this will cost a hell, something like 3000+ atleast, at present 1 mbps connction is H3300

*www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm

outlaw

De@d
finally bsnl has woken up !!!!!!!

now airtel/reliance/tata will have to come up with some counter plans
or they are definitely gonna loose this battle

multi

lazy bone
some update on other article , let's hope it's true.

Source: IRIS NEWS DIGEST (15 December 2006)
By the year 2007, Bharat Sanchar Nigam (BSNL) would provide 5 million broadband connections with minimum download speed of 2 mbps, communications and IT minister Dayanidhi Maran said on Thursday, reports Financial Express.

The subscribers of BSNL with 256 kbps will automatically get upgraded to 2 mbps level without any change in tariff.

The government is targeting 9 million broadband connections by 2007 end. BSNL has around 9 lakh broadband subscribers with a market share of 43.07%. The company offers the minimum speed of 256 kbps connection for a monthly charge of Rs 250.

The communications and IT minister expects that with USO scheme for coverage of rural areas and intense coverage through technologies like WiMAX, the country would start adding more than 1 million broadband connections per month before the end of 2007.
*www.myiris.com/newsCentre/newsPopup.php?fileR=20061215094940124&dir=2006/12/15&secID=livenews

forever

filth is me
any idea what other isps like airtel have up their sleeve ???, i wish they come up with a similar plan ,it wuld be a dream come true for a serial downloader :):)

Neo_Collin

Right off the assembly line
That's NEWS !!!! Way to go ....
It definitely is a free UPGRADE !!! Now the problem.... Lots of people will definitely provide 2 Mbps download... But I doubt they would give us 2Mbps upload...
Lets see what BSNL have up its sleeves !!!!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
multi said:

*www.myiris.com/newsCentre/newsPopup.php?fileR=20061215094940124&dir=2006/12/15&secID=livenews
it will be traiff hike atleast for Unlimited plan's customers(900/-) but ins't make any diffrence for home-250 users as they get only 400mb.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
So what should be the effective download speed on a 2MBPS connection ? There shouldn't be any foulplay of bits and bytes in this ?

soham

In the zone
Its not a 2MBps broadband. Its rather 2mbps. This is the general nornm used in describing broadband speeds. 2MBps would mean 16 mbps. Such speeds are hard to find even in the USA.

comrade

foreign return(0)
soham said:
Its not a 2MBps broadband. Its rather 2mbps. This is the general nornm used in describing broadband speeds. 2MBps would mean 16 mbps. Such speeds are hard to find even in the USA.

its will be something around 300KBps.....my university has got 2 mbps shared connection but @ non-peak hours i get these speeds.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
Pathetic ...

Can u people imagine the plight of Broadband connections in Bangalore !! I am staying at BTM in Bangalore and trying to get one unlimited internet connection at some decent rate. Here is what I tried till now :
1. BSNL : They say that they can't provide any more connections in the area as they have reached their maximum limit. It will take one week to get the landline connection but internet will be available only after 2-3 months.
2. Airtel : They say that in our area they don't have any free lines left. Only when they upgrade the system, they will be able to any more connections. This upgradation needs govt's approval . What the hell !!
3. Sify : They are charging 2500/- as initial installation charges. They say they have dedicated lines and they wont be giving any modem. We will have to buy one hub to connect to more than one computer. (That amounts to around 3000/- that is too much investment .. U wont be able to switch to some other ISP if u later realise that sify sucks because of this huge investment)
4. Tata : After searching on net and reading the reviews of TATA Indicom users I don't have courage to even enquire about broadband plans of TATA.
5. Cable Guys : No idea .. looking for this as the last option.

Now this is very pathetic that even in the city which is called as "IT HUB" and "Silicon Valley" , one is not able to get a broadband connection.
Forget about 2mbps .. let BSNL first upgrade itself to provide suffecient number of 256 kbps connections !

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
multi said:

What The....????!!!! That means will my 256 kbps H500 dataone connection be automatically upgraded to 1mbps without any extra charge???? This is like a dream!!!

hard_rock

Salieri Family
digitized said:
What The....????!!!! That means will my 256 kbps H500 dataone connection be automatically upgraded to 1mbps without any extra charge???? This is like a dream!!!

A little correction.... 2mbps..Not 1mbps.. :)

I became mad reading this morning's newspaper... Whoaa.... Can I shout here with happiness....???

:):)Yepeeeeeeeeee..........:) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom