BSNL Broadband Related Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda

Right off the assembly line
Hey,
I am thinking of getting a BSNL broadband connection,i called up the BSNL helpline to enquire.I asked if i needed a NIC card to to have a BSNL broadband,but they told me that they do not know any technical stuff,

Do i need to have a NIC Card to connect to the Net using BSNL broadband or is the modem they provide is just good enough.

I know it is an external modem so where does the modem connect in the computer.USB Serial or a Nic Card.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
BSNL provides both USB and ethernet modems. USB will connect normally while for Ethernet , you need to have a 10/100 Mbps Network Adapter.

kato

Karthiksn
the modem they provide (Type 1 modem:it has two ways for connections through ethernet port or through USB port)gives u these two options .while if u want usb port as connection u need to install the drivers for it from the CD provided with modem.If u want toconnect using ethernet port then obviuosly u need one

anomit

In the zone
Wait, do you mean that the Type1 modem will have to be plugged into the NIC/USB in addition? I too want this info.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
USB modems are a pain to install in linux, if u can find a driver that.is.
But otherwise a windows user don't have to know which port u have to use.
[Edited to replace dots with spaces]

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
kato said:
the modem they provide (Type 1 modem:it has two ways for connections through ethernet port or through USB port)gives u these two options .while if u want usb port as connection u need to install the drivers for it from the CD provided with modem.If u want toconnect using ethernet port then obviuosly u need one

hey, i dint receive any CD with my modem :( .

i have both an ethernet and a usb port on my adsl modem. which is better? usb or ethernet? but if i want to use usb then what ll be the function of my lan card? will it be useless?

also...to use usb i ll need a cable which bsnl dint gimme.

kato

Karthiksn
the modem i hav gave me a usb cable , a driver cd for installing usb drivers and a cable to connect to ethernet port.
If u use the usb instead of ethernet then ur nic is useless
I tell u nic is better why take the pain to install usb drivers.And some times it may hav conflict with nic drivers (atleast i had wen i tried to use usb)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ok, i use dataone on my laptop. i often shift my laptop and carry it wid me. but the modem is fixed. so when the laptop is not at its place i unplug the cat5 cable from my laptop. in my case, what do u ppl suggest? usb or nic?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Get a linksys wifi acess point (rs 3500 in bangalore) connect the dataone modem to it by the rj45 connector and enjoy free wirefree internet connection in a radius of 100M.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hello pradeepji!

no i dun wanna use the net everywhere. the modem and stuff are fixed. i move ma laptop a lot (to ma fren's place etc.) so i freq plug in and plug out the connector. so i was thinking whether a usb modem wud be a better choice for this kinda usage. wot do u suggest?

kato

Karthiksn
try the usb if u remove it a lot and be sure to remove nic drivers before installing usb drivers as i had sum conflict problem

--Generic Superhero which modem did htey give u tell name of company is it Sterlite or sumthing

kato

Karthiksn
then u should hav got the cd and da usb cable and adapter which is inside th modem carton box

kato

Karthiksn
gud atleast u r trying to register a complaint but be sure to pester them through phone also so it gets clear in their head(its sarkari office u see)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom