Browsing net with phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_shake

Broken In
Does browsing net with your GPRS phone give good speeds? What if it has EDGE in it?
I somewhere read that AIRTEL connection for net and unlimited downloads is Rs 150, and download speed is around 13to 14 kbps. That's much better than my 64 kbps broadband which gives 8 to 9 kbps download. So is this true?

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
anarchist said:
You are talking 8-9kbps or kBps.
gprs speed will depend on many factors. You will not get more than 48kbps (6kBps) in gprs in any case (speed may be low as 8kbps). EDGE may have more speed (3-4 times)
airtel has different rates in different circles, so check your local rates. bsnl gprs is 199/- pm unlimited.

Please tell me the circle name of BSNL unlimited 199 GPRS service. i find on BSNL site that it's Rs.349pm. and how the speed & service is because we all know about BSNL's SERVICE.

krishnansurya

Broken In
Well currently I am browing internet thorugh my EDGE phone only woth AirTel and its really good...During Nights u get the speed of 10 or 12 KBps.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
got around 9-11 KBps with my Motorola C650 phone which was a GPRS class 10 phone ... am getting around 25-28 KBps now with my Nokia 6681 phone which is a EDGE class 10 multislot B phone ... both on airtel gprs for 250 bucks unlimited ... so i guess it really depends upon the phone a lot ...

Well currently I am browing internet thorugh my EDGE phone only woth AirTel and its really good...During Nights u get the speed of 10 or 12 KBps.

Hmm ... where do u live ??? and what edge class does ur phone belong to ???

Najesh

Broken In
deathvirus_me said:
so i guess it really depends upon the phone a lot ...

Hmm ... where do u live ??? and what edge class does ur phone belong to ???

More then Phone it depends on the region and how strong is the Operator's network?coz i m having 6630 which u know has got all features of ur phone 6681 but still i get a speed of 40kbps only.

digital_mech

Broken In
If u have EDGE enabled phone and u live in mumbai, u r lucky, like me. I am getting 15 kb/s @ 12Rs a day. Thats good n very much affordable.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
dude u will be killed surfin at 8-9 kbps and its worst to imagine the download speeds coz u get just the 10% of surfin speeds so my advice 4get it

din

Tribal Boy
I use Airtel GPRS when I am on the move (Lappy). Speed is ok kinda, like for email checking and chat etc. Not good for file download or upload. Airtel has advance rental scheme for postpaid conn, that is Rs.1500 for 1 yr unlimited, that is Rs.125 for one month(unlimited).

Speed - from DSL Reports

Your download speed : 38 kbps or 4.7 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 10 kbps or 1.2 KB/sec.

Last edited:

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
I use airtel mobile office with my 3230 and n70 with no different in speed..
Speed ranges from 3-7 kbps in day time to 15-25 kbps at night..
It costs me around rs 8/day..
a very good deal for me!!

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
anarchist said:
in all circles, BSNL has not updated this page. but you can see news flash on main page. BSNL rates
prepaid: Rs 0.02/KB
postpaid: Rs 49 + Rs 0.01/KB (5MB free)
postpaid: Rs 199 unlimited

roaming in all plans: Rs 0.02/KB
MMS @ Rs. 3/-

i am using BSNL GPRS and getting ~40kbps average speed, speed depends upon no. of GPRS users under your BTS, network congesstion, signal strength, hanset used, etc.

Thanks for reply. yah, i see the newsflash on the BSNL site. But i think in my Airtel Lifetime prepaid, only using for GPRS @Rs.250/- is better than BSNL@Rs.199/-. because i have to recharge airtel with Rs.300/- top up everymonth , and for BSNL its (Rs199+Rs.100)=Rs.299 (Rs.100/- is for Postpaid rental).but airtel supports EDGE and BSNL doesn't.
so i think AIRTEL is still better for GPRS net. But yah, their CC Exec. are really *******, they know nothing.

i have to call them 4 times to activate mobile office. first 3 times, executives are give me 3 types of information about minimum balance(really confusing ). after that 4th exec. told me that the first 3 executives gives me wrong information BY MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's really horrible. after a lot of harassment i can finally activated MO.
i am from WB . dont know about other circles. speed is much better than dial-up, and when i download something with download manager i got 8-9KBps on my nokia 3220. but who you guys going to activate GPRS net, be prepare for hear some confusing words from CC executives.

Last edited:

Najesh

Broken In
Tech.Masti said:
Thanks for reply. yah, i see the newsflash on the BSNL site. But i think in my Airtel Lifetime prepaid, only using for GPRS @Rs.250/- is better than BSNL@Rs.199/-. because i have to recharge airtel with Rs.300/- top up everymonth , and for BSNL its (Rs199+Rs.100)=Rs.299 (Rs.100/- is for Postpaid rental).but airtel supports EDGE and BSNL doesn't.
so i think AIRTEL is still better for GPRS net. But yah, their CC Exec. are really *******, they know nothing.

i have to call them 4 times to activate mobile office. first 3 times, executives are give me 3 types of information about minimum balance(really confusing ). after that 4th exec. told me that the first 3 executives gives me wrong information BY MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's really horrible. after a lot of harassment i can finally activated MO.
i am from WB . dont know about other circles. speed is much better than dial-up, and when i download something with download manager i got 8-9KBps on my nokia 3220. but who you guys going to activate GPRS net, be prepare for hear some confusing words from CC executives.

Where in bengal man,i get a speed of only 40kbps in bengal

BharatPremi

Right off the assembly line
Does anyone know the settings for Nokia 7710 for BSNL GPRS?

Its not mentioned on their website. I tried settings given for other sets, but it doesnt work. I am from East Zone, so the settings are given in kolkata bsnl site, which dont work...

Jennifer Karmakar

Right off the assembly line
Guys please help me!

Hello everyone,

I am a rookie and I do not know about any of the IT jargons used here.

I am planning to buy a Nokia N93 only to get a good internet connection
for my laptop. Is there a way I can get a connection which is close to
BSNL broadband (256 kbps)
?

I only know that N93 has 3G which supports 384kbps and EDGE (class 32)
which supports 296kbps speed
. So can I download something @ 25 KB/sec
or better?

Thank you very much for your advice (and suggestions). I am from Kolkata
(some guys pronounce the name CALL-KAATA or KOLKATTA).

Best regards

Jennifer

dinesh_mettur

Journeyman
if u r a casulal surfer go for airtel mobile office it is cheaper (Rs 20 per day)

speed : 4.5 to 7.5 at day time
15 to 25 kbps at night

if u r a regular downloader go for airtel bradband Rs 700 (unlimited plan)
available in tamilnadu and karnataka only

speed : 20kbps at day time
30kbps at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom