Browsing net via FC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

startmenu

Broken In
Undetered by the problems I faced to configure my internet connections in KUBUNTU
I installed FC4 to learn linux and here i am with the problem of net accessing in FC4 . I use broadband internet connection, the modem provided by my service provider is " Terayon eMTA DOCSIS Modem " and i use USB connector in Windows XP . Though ethetnet connector
is also provided I am unsure of my NIC card presence. I hope I am clear about the problem. Any help from tux gurus are welcome.

digen

Youngling
If you are using the USB version of the modem then for it to work in GNU/linux you need to find its Linux drivers first.Now if you ask me I would rather install a ethernet card if it isnt present & connect your FC4 to the internet with ease.

But hey thats just my opinion,if you would like to take the other route then wait for the linux gurus to post.

You've said you are un-aware by the ethernet card's presence,can you tell me which motherboard you got there?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
As digen said and that PDF says, buying an ethernet card is the best option. It will cost you about Rs. 400 approx., if I remember right. It will save you a lot of headache. Anyways, if you want to go ahead with your present setup you can try out the pdf I've posted in the previous post and see if it works. Maybe I can try that out later with my modem and see if it works.

digen

Youngling
If its a fairly recent motherboard then most often than not it will have atleast one ethernet controller onboard.

Check the back side of your cabinet,it looks like the normal port which the usual PSTN telephones have albeit large in size.Registered Jack 45 (RJ45) to be precise.

Here is a picture of how it looks : *ncsudesign.org/content/images/it/walljack/plug2.gif

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
startmenu said:
Surely , I have ASUS motherboard ( Intel 865 chipset ) along with Intel P4.

That doesn't help. You should've quoted the exact model.

Or you can check it yourself. Try to find a socket like the one in right (RJ-45). The socket Left is a telephone socket(RJ-11), don't confuse it with RJ-45.

*www.inf.aber.ac.uk/stunet/images/setup/rj45rj11.jpg

OP
startmenu

startmenu

Broken In
Thanks for your support.

Hey guys , I am writing this post in Fire Fox , configured my modem in "system Settings -> Network Configuration" and presently using USB cable to connect the modem . And yes I have ethernet port .
It was said that it will be difficult to configure USB system than a ethernet system , but I only copied IP address , Subnet Mask and Default Gateway address in the proper location and Voila !! Though I am not complaining but surprised . Thank you all for your inputs. FC4 is gonna rock for me.

mehulved

Hmm that's great. This would have been possible in Kubuntu too if someone woild have managed to find where the networking option is located. Do have a great time with FC.
Also, I'd suggest you to get yum or apt for package management. it makes life eaiser.
Do some google searches for them and install whichever you like.

mehulved

Your post prompted me to try out using my cable modem from USB. After trying for 1/2 hour atlast I got it to work. Right now my modem is connected via USB and its working fine. It was great fun trying out and learning something new.

OP
startmenu

startmenu

Broken In
Wow , it was amazing to know that u used d method , it is always nice to see that your
seniors learn a thing or two from you :)

mehulved

Everyone has something to teach each other be it seniors, juniors or peers. It is always good to learn from other's experience what you've missed out.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hell it isnt working for me :( I tried copying all I had into Ubuntu but still it refuses to connect, the modem is linked and ready but the OS refuses connecting :evil:

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmmm.I'll try it toooo! I had given up hope on Knoppix......but seeing ur success revived my determination again to do so.
Just ip,subnet etc na? Or anything else u did?

mehulved

I don't really remember the exact steps but I followed that pdf and googled for the drivers. I do remember being able to find the drviers for my modem in Mandriva. But, it wasn't auto detected. I had to manually select it. I don't really have time for now to try it out and give you the exact steps but if you look around for a bit you may find it. If you are able to successful then you can write a tutorial on it.
Best of luck.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Why don`t you try systemsettings command.It will open a control center and in that choose networking and manually enter the ip addrs.. It should work.

mediator

Technomancer
@startmenu........Bro can u please explain every step u did? PLease!
I have DSL Router and wanna connect via USB!

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
hey guys , I have FC5 and dataone connection with USB modem smartax mt882.
how should i proceed to get internet working in FC5????

mehulved

Well read thru the thread and try it out. If you get it working that will be great.
dmesg | tail
Above should be typed in the terminal.
See if anything is detected. If it is maybe we can proceed further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom