Browser Hijackers : New Kinds !

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Browser hijackers have started using a variety of methods to trick the user into installing them, but a growing part of them uses vulnerabilities in
Internet Explorer instead to install completely silent. Since some of
these exploits have NOT been patched by Microsoft yet, this app
provides a temporary solution for these vulnerabilities, by disabling
the vulnerable Windows components. u can check out this utility 'BugOff'

Recent browser hijackers have also started using ADS to hide their files,
and very few anti-spys detect this. Alternate Data Streams (ADS) are
pieces of info hidden as metadata on files. They are not visible in
Explorer and the size they take up is not reported by Windows.
Use this tool 'ADS Spy' to find and remove these streams. this app also
displays legitimate ADS streams. Don't delete streams if you are not
completely sure they are :evil: malicious!

*www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
buddie, u sure do know a lot of viral buisness goin on, tell me whether u have been infected several times or what ?

anomit

In the zone
QwertyManiac said:
Shudnt anand get a brainiac on viral info?

O yeah ?!

*img373.imageshack.us/img373/9812/m29le.th.jpg
*img391.imageshack.us/img391/1372/m30mt.th.jpg

No intention of flaming but brainiacs acknowledge the source of the material.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

natekar

Right off the assembly line
Hijacked Browser

I really worried about this hijacking. Even if u have "about:blank" as home page ii IE, you will get hijacked site. Because they already hijacked your "about:blank". :cry:
What to do? I tried many adremoving software. But of no use.
Luckily I got one FREE softwre "CCleaner". I installed it and cleaned temporary and registry. Surpised!!! Hijackers arrested? or ran. May be entered ur PC???? Beware of Hijackers. If u r attacked by them try "CCleaner". It is available FREE at www.ccleaner.com
Ofcourse, now I have installed "Browser Hijack Retaliator" provided in this Digit CD. Yet to know about it's positive use.

Srinivas Natekar

swatkat

Technomancer
Spywares and Hijackers which use ADS are here from eons. ADS is available only in NTFS systems.
Popular tool called Lavasoft AdAware detects and removes these kind of malwares.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
use firefox with the ad bloc plugin. kinda good. and dont forget to run spybot and ad aware regularly.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
thanx for ur sentiments guys.
but let me tell u, i aint no brainiac material.
i just share what i learn ! :)

i have already mentioned the source > spywareinfo site. pls check out my original post ! anomit, i think has mentioned different sites. nice of him to add more inputs.

natekar : set ur homepage as about:blank thru internet options, and then LOCK IT. if u r using spybot or spysweeper or ms anti-spy or winpatrol, etc; they have these options. ur homepage will remain safe.

GameAddict

In the zone
ADS is a feature of NTFS file systems.So if you have FAT32, it won't affect you. Also scanning tools are available to reach and clean ADS files.

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
Is it good running a lot more spyware detectors.
I currently use Webroot spysweeper, Spybot SnD, AdAware, Spyware doctor, Spyware blaster, Malware scanner, Trojen remover, Safe XP, Anti tracks, Browser hijack retaliator, Hide IP platinum, MS Antispy, XSpy, and The Computer security tool, Along with Windows XP SP2 patched with Autopatcher June.
Should I add ADS spy and Bugoff to my list.

My file system is NTFS and I cant do without that since I have to Compress files to save diskspace still without wasting time.
Also NTFS is meant to be more secure than FAT32. I use encryption technology to secure my personal files. FAT32 cant do it with out additional softwares.

anomit

In the zone
Nothing wrong with that but never try to run two firewalls or antivirus programs together. They are sure to cause conflicts.

Having quite a few of them i.e. anti-spywares actually help your cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom