Broadband going to get better (???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
Come January, Indian consumers will be treated to very high speeds of internet downloads with unlimited broadband being made available to them, promises the Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology, Mr Dayanidhi Maran. "Goodbye 256 kb," he said on Monday, on the sidelines of a meeting here.

The public sector telecom companies, BSNL and MTNL, are working towards "proactive pricing". He spoke of "unlimited broadband" to be made available, but when pressed for details he said, "that is all I am allowed to say at the moment."

The question is : How much can we trust him?

*www.thehindubusinessline.com/2006/11/28/stories/2006112805170400.htm

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
^^^ I completely agree with you but still welcome the notion ....

At least they'r thinking abt it ... It seems they have some brains but donno how to use it ... lets hope something good comes out of this attempt towards real broadband :D

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
I too agree, we have seen many such announcements in pasts bt hardly have any realised in their mentioned time-frame or even materialised!
We can jus keep our fingers crossed n hope for the best :)

outlaw

De@d
yeah rite ; when it comes to bandwidth the indian private sector sucks
they just keep the same tarrifs as bsnl even for lower bandwidth ,so i guess bsnl is gonna give the private sector a run for their money

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Well in my city Airtel Broadband was the first with 256 kpbs always on connections. BSNL only came later with their 900+ plan

sabret00the

Youngling
As far as Calcutta is concerned there is unfortunately only one true broadband DSL service provider which is BSNL with their dataone service.I have been using the 256kbps/1GB connection for almost 2 years now.But I feel competition is the name of the game.As soon as private players come into the picture the story might change.But then again mobile broadband might just take sometime in India.Currently providers like Hutch claim that they provide EDGE but the speeds are as bad as dial up.Now that the Government has decided to open the spectrum for 3G things might change.....Also read this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41622

goobimama

 Macboy
Btw, the Goa government recently had a full page ad on how they are going to implement a 10 Gbps line (actually a couple of these lines) throughout Goa. This is going to be completed somewhere by december 2007 throughout Goa (including rural areas).

Right now I'm more than satisfied downloading on this 2Mbps line that we've got in the office (I'm working for the International Film Festival...). Gonna be hard to let go in another three days.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
I think 256kbps Unlimited Connection for Rs.500(If possible much lesser than that) is much better than 512Kbps with download limits..

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
when maran said 256 kbps is the minimum speed for broadband, bsnl did that.Now lets see what maran does next..512kbps minimum speed???

soham

In the zone
I think the ideal thing would be to upgrade the 900 Unlimited plan to something around 1Mbps keeping the rate same. Also a 2 Mbps connection at something around 1500 to 1800 would be great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom