Broadband @ 256+ What about lower speeds? Aren't they broad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashuniverse

In the zone
lol, they are giving 1MB free sapce

about bsnl: taken from web hosting guide.

At last it became a humour corner and not a web hosting guide. Thanks to govt. of india. :)

bsnl had late entry in broadband market, very late and then it defined (edited: TRAI) broadband to be anything 256 kbps+. till then sify had been giving some 64kbps broadband lines. now boys keep murmurings like howz a 60 kbps a broadband. isn't it any 24hrs on connection can be called broadband (afterall it cant be called isdn)

how do u ppl define it. what is a broadband connection? if u want it to define in just a one line.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Some definitions from google may tell u something about broadband.

And it wasn't BSNL, but TRAI that redefined BB in india.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@crashuniverse

hmm 64KBPS all ways on... well neither BB or Dial up or ISDN... then how bout useing that Narrow band turm... have thought about that??

ok then if u want to call a 64KBPS line BB then it would b like calling Maruti 800 a Sports car....

yes 64KBPS is better that Dial up... but not up to that real fast speed...

OP
C

crashuniverse

In the zone
calling Maruti 800 a Sports car

thats really funny. hey but wherever u see the definitions its like high speed/high frequency and all, there is no technical definition on an absolute scale. (at last i haven't found it yet)

well i have a vsnl 128 kbps (i call it a BB) and i feel that its good enough to work with. but then whats the problem calling it a BB, what's TRAI gonna do it for us. Is the BSNL pkg of 256kbps/450 MB download per month @ Rs. 250 good enough to be called a broadband. downlaod a movie and its gone midway.

OP
C

crashuniverse

In the zone
Its always on and high speed ......

I would define it like unlimited and speeds above 128k...

you ppl see most ppl define it as the same. so i do. i really go crazy when somebody denies to say a 64 kbps line as broadband.

anyways guys i got my answer. thanks everybody for being here.

ECE0105

In the zone
Talking about 256Kbps.

If what TRAI/BSNL says is true, then The connection speed should always be 256Kbps. Right.

But BSNL DATAONE sucks. I got the best connection speed of around 213Kbps a week after I got the connection and that too only for around 15min.

The rest of the time it is not even 128Kbps. When the speed offered is less than half, why give a farce about giving real Broadband?
I wish there was someway we all could make BSNL pay for this.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
ECE0105 said:
Talking about 256Kbps.

If what TRAI/BSNL says is true, then The connection speed should always be 256Kbps. Right.

But BSNL DATAONE sucks. I got the best connection speed of around 213Kbps a week after I got the connection and that too only for around 15min.

The rest of the time it is not even 128Kbps. When the speed offered is less than half, why give a farce about giving real Broadband?
I wish there was someway we all could make BSNL pay for this.

u can... just keep complaning... with FAX.... & keep the document... then go to the consumer support center...

In February 2005 the Government decided to raise targets set for the broadband strategy. In the new objectives, most connections should have the minimum speed of 2 Mbps by the end of the year. The aim is also to ensure that Finland remains at the forefront of Europe as regards availability and use of broadband services. Finland aims to be on the forefront of the world in the use of high-speed telecom connections by the end of 2007.

Source

now finland gov thinks that 2MBPS is the minimum BB speed... any thing bellow... hmm they wont going call it BB....

12. The common usage of the term broadband is not nearly as precise as the technical definition would imply. A recent study carried out by the Canadian National Broadband Task Force5 noted that national definitions ranged from as low as 200 kbit/s to as high as 30 Mbit/s among the 14 countries studied. We have avoided setting a “number”, or a minimum speed that would constitute broadband. Rather we accept that broadband is defined primarily by access technologies, of which ADSL and cable modems are currently the most popular. An alternative approach to defining broadband would be to state a minimum level of functionality, rather than a minimum speed. For instance, any network capable of carrying full motion video would fit the popular image of a broadband network. With advances in data encoding and compression, this is becoming possible at ever-lower speeds.

Source

hmm so canada thinks lowest a connection can go is 200KBPS....?? & they also say that any connection which is powerfull enough to carry a full motion video is Broadband...

now honeslty i have seen even 256KBPS connects r also not able to carry such presure... minimum of 512KBPS is requeard for that Vedio action...

so what do u think?? 64KBPS or 128KBPS is really Braodband or narrowband??

OP
C

crashuniverse

In the zone
@saurabh: now that was reallly something so cool, and so nice to read along. ur dedicated work really leaves nothing much to say. its all about functionality. 64/128 are all sick connections, (as defined by canada/finland). but india really lacks in providing services.

i recently saw bsnl promising in times of india that pune is going to be first city in india (earlier than blr, huh!) to have Wi-Max. a min of 2 mbps connection which will never let u cram for bandwidths. i was again depressed by bsnl promises, as it never knows whatz to be done wid those promises. and guess, what was the time bar.... december this yr, yes dec '05. 4 months remaining. i'm rili waitin for that. trust me i m in south pune and this is end of the city, broadband reached here in jan '05 i m really scared how do they make it so soon. 4 months remaining. if that happens i ll be more than happpiest person, no worries for costs involved, but the only problem is the name attached, bsnl.

there r two options. keep waitin' like a stupid or RFlol (for those who r new here, rollin' on floor and lol), right now and kick off wid ur 64/128 kbps line, which makes me do this posting :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
TRAI made that minimum limit to save customers.... (as most of use realy confuse about BB speed...)... as local cable or any other ISPs can fool people saing that a 32KBPS or a 64KBPS line is BB...

now problem people going to face when the sufr net... as when entarring a site, if the site ask u to chose ur connection with option Dialup & BB them they gone BB but as Internatiol standard that 64 or 32 KBPS line in nothing... so people really need to know what is true BB... so i really appreciate tria for taking this decition...

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
saurav_cheeta said:
TRAI made that minimum limit to save customers.... (as most of use realy confuse about BB speed...)... as local cable or any other ISPs can fool people saing that a 32KBPS or a 64KBPS line is BB...
I thought that before 256kbps, anything >56kbps was broadband in India. So they have merely redefined the term, right?

saurav_cheeta said:
now problem people going to face when the sufr net... as when entarring a site, if the site ask u to chose ur connection with option Dialup & BB them they gone BB but as Internatiol standard that 64 or 32 KBPS line in nothing... so people really need to know what is true BB... so i really appreciate tria for taking this decition...
The problem still exists as there is no internationally common speed is defined as broadband speed. I've seen some sites have 384kbps as the lowest speed for broadband while some sites have 256kbps as the lowest.

Link to TRAI's document.
Their definition:
Broadband is an “An always-on data connection that is able to support various interactive services, and has the capability of a minimum download speed of 256 Kbps�.

Charley

Just Do It
siriusb said:
I've seen some sites have 384kbps as the lowest speed for broadband while some sites have 256kbps as the lowest.

Which sites to be precise i.e. 384 & 256 kpbs?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@siriusb

yes... now if u see other counrty official doc.. as i posted few... their few of them r taking the speed limit to minimum of 2MBPS... now really... common user cant aford that in india... imfact see dataone chart... i think the highest speed they r givinng is 2MBPS... indian ISPs cant cope with those counrty norms...

any way... almost all of the international docs define BB with a test... many cases its video.... so now where the website r taking the video bandwidth demand that even 256KBPS connection r lagging behaind....

so its hard to set international norm of BB speed.... as most country (where internet is uses is very high) will find that their most IPSs can set minimum speed is 2MBPS... where many country will find that their best ISP can give the highest speed of 2MBPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom