Bring VIM-like navigation to Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Source: Vimperator

In the world of free text editors, nothing beats the beloved Vim for mouseless navigation and keyboard productivity. Now the Vimperator Firefox extension brings the same Vim shortcuts to your Firefox experience. That means that tons of the keybindings Vim users have come to know and love are now available in Firefox.
Vimperator is a free browser add-on for Firefox, which makes it look and behave like the Vim text editor. It has similar key bindings, and you could call it a modal webbrowser, as key bindings differ according to which mode you are in.

To provide the most authentic Vim experience, the Firefox menubar and toolbar were hidden. If you really need them, type: :set guioptions=mT to get it back. If you don't like Vimperator at all, you can uninstall it by typing :addons and remove/disable it. If you like it, but can't remember the shortcuts, press F1 or :help to get this help window back.

Sykora

I see right through you.
I tried this one a long time back. It's a good idea, and it certainly sped up my browsing, but my only gripe is that the link tags it shows are way to small. It's very hard to see what the tag for each link is, and you end up hitting something else. I gave up and stuck to Opera's spatial navigation.

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
^ Do tell us how it is. I have never used Vim so wouldn't feel comfortable using it :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Version 4.0 wasn't installing, just getting download to the hard disk. They released a bug fix version 4.1 right the next day. I installed it yesterday night and went through some part of the tuts. Feels quite nice for vi users. But, it still needs some work to be done upon to make it feel real nice.

mehulved

I didn't get the meaning of link tags properly. But, it does show the url of the link, at the bottom, if that is what you meant.

Sykora

I see right through you.
Press 'f'. This will bring up labels for every link on the page, and will navigate that link as soon as you type enough of the label. I think this is called hintmode or something. Those are the tags I'm referring to.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
eddie said:
^ Do tell us how it is. I have never used Vim so wouldn't feel comfortable using it :)

me too , once tried goin through the VIM tutorial but man , the tutorial was soooooo long that i freaked out , nano's my choice of console text editor here :D

mehulved

If you just give it 30-50 mins you'd see how easy the tutorial actually is. It's not really as long as it seems at first.

Sykora

I see right through you.
@Zeeshan : It's best to learn vim while actually doing something with it. Skim through the tutorial at first, and start using it for your daily use (which means coding of some sort) and if you don't know osmething, look it up. It'll grow on you.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Sykora said:
@Zeeshan : It's best to learn vim while actually doing something with it. Skim through the tutorial at first, and start using it for your daily use (which means coding of some sort) and if you don't know osmething, look it up. It'll grow on you.

yeah , i've recently got a Book on Unix from the library , now i'll install Ubuntu Command Line system n VMware n then learn the whole philosophy(bsd kernel by Berkeley , System V Release 5 , mach , .....) n command line thing shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom