booting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvrappu

Broken In
hi

i recently installed fedora core 4 on my hp pavilion 810 pc which has windows xp

before the i also created swap and install partions for linux and went to installation

i choosed the grub bootloader and windows as default and every thing worked smoothly

and after the installation the system rebooted and when i pressed enter on keyboard the

grub bootloader showed fedora 4 and windows but when i booted by selecting the

windows option instead of windows xp the system boots in to the sytems recovery partion

configured by hp as a result i can't boot in to xp but fedora has no problems

my hp system has two partions C and D in which C is the main partition and D

is the recovery partition which is used for recovering system when system is unbootable or any other sytem failiure it is accessed by pressing F10 on the keyboard while system boot screen shows
IT can reinstall xp on to the C drive by formating the drive again

to install i bought a new 80 gb hard disk and partioned it with windows diskmanagement tool

and created the swap and main partion for linux.

my real problem is how can boot in to xp and what is the cause for this??

please help

ASHOK

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Arre yaar you must have selected to boot from D drive instead of C. Post the contents of your
Code:
fdisk -l
and
Code:
/boot/grub/menu.lst

OP
G

gvrappu

Broken In
during the installation in bootloader configurations it showed hda1 and fedora 4 and want me to choose the default partition i selected hda1 which is i assume windows and by the way
my first hard disk is IDE AND SECOND ONE IS SATA I INSTALLED FEDORA ON SATA
DISK PARTITION creating the swap an installation partition i bought it afetr my first hdd becomefull

in think you are correct but grub is showing only d partiton in the bootconfiguration menu during installation how can i direct grub towards c partition how can edit bootconfiguration

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Can you please post me the results of commands I mentioned in previous post. Then I may be able to tell you how to go about.

mediator

Technomancer
HI plz direct de results firsts as asked by @tech_your_future. I hope u aint messed up with windows parition.
Also try mounting hte windows partition in FC4.

OPen terminal and as root type
cd /mnt
mkdir winc
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/winc
cd /mnt/winc
ls

If u see ur windows filez then ur Xp is Ok!
U just need to configure grub!

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
At boot enter the grub prompt and type the following

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

boot

This should boot into xp if xp is on the first partition.

If this works then edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf files as root and add these lines

title Windows xp
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

And remove the previous one.. Or just check if your file as this entry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom