Not open for further replies.

anilthomas26

In the zone
first lemme give ma system config...

asus k8n mobo
amd 64bit 2800+
512mb ram
geforce fx5200 256mb

my system is taking too long to shutdown and also to boot........
cud it be a virus or something..........???
i bought it around 8-9 months ago.......i havent formatted it since........

will formatting it solve ma problem ?????

plzzzzzz help..........

digiFriend

In the zone
never be shy of installing antivirus. download avira free version. it free,fast and effective. you will also need antispyware, firewall. this all have become necessary.
check in your bios ,that every chace is enabled.

ashfame

Padawan
ya things digiFriend says are a must.
In case you have the above stuff on ur pc, try cleanup,chkdsk,defrag.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
tweak ur booting process using msconfig :-

disable unecessary programs during boot.
opt for no gui boot.

shutdown
clear ur paging file before shutdown. that considerably decreases shutdown time.

ashfame

Padawan
saurabh.sauron said:
tweak ur booting process using msconfig :-

disable unecessary programs during boot.
opt for no gui boot.

shutdown
clear ur paging file before shutdown. that considerably decreases shutdown time.

Whats Gui boot?
What does it do?
How can pagefile be set to flush everytime i logg off.
What's it impact?
Pl explain.

Last edited:

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
Run
Msconfig
BOOT.INI
Select /NOGUIBOOT
the windows xp load page (the one with the scrolling bar) dows not appear. theis reduces the boot time.

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
saurabh.sauron said:

that would actually increase his shutdown and bootup time as it wud have to be flushed and then recreated again at every bootup.

ashfame

Padawan
saurabh.sauron said:
Run
Msconfig
BOOT.INI
Select /NOGUIBOOT
the windows xp load page (the one with the scrolling bar) dows not appear. theis reduces the boot time.
Rather than flying on to the procedure, tell how its work?

abracadabra

Journeyman
start> run> msconfig> startup

over here UNCHECK the programs that you do not want to be loaded by default. Apply> Restart Computer

Now after restarting a dialog box appears saying you have made some changes. click the box and say OK

If the following hasnt speeded u booting u culd still try some others techniques like

.1. if u use windows blinds or any third party utility for beautifiaction and presentation of your desktop; startight away remove it.

.2.remove the desktop wallpaper. it culd speed up u r loading time by nano seconds only. not very noticeable by u; but culd help infact. here third party utilities like WEBSHOTS also shuld be disabled.

.3.from Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices> Sounds> scroll down and remove the sound icon for Start Windows and Exit Windows.

if all these still didnt work. try the following too:

.1. Install a free Anti-Virus software from either Antivir or AVG or Avast. all 3 are free versions and updates are released very often and kept upto date as best as possible and scan your computer immediately. install only anyone of them otherwise it wuld clash against each other.

.2.Install and update Anti Spyware tools from both Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal. it is better to install both these as one plays a better role than the other at times. both are free versions and updated from time to time. run a scan of your computer from both of them.

.3.and finally install a firewall preferably a software based firewall from Zone Alarm

Read more : Protecting your PC (excellent arcticle)

Last edited:

vandit

In the zone
diabling clear the paging file would not increase boot up times significantly but will somewhat decrease the shutdown time considerably.... because it will not have to spend the time clearing it during shutdown.... I agree with Digital brat!

anandk

Distinguished Member
MAKE WINXP STARTUP/SHUTDOWN FASTER !
here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7879

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
ashfame said:
Rather than flying on to the procedure, tell how its work?
it disables the welcome and boot screen. this reduces the time taken to boot coz the resources used by those screens are not used. about 10-15 seconds less time is taken

sorry bout the goof up. actually meant to disable it...

OP
A

anilthomas26

In the zone
i cant modify my boot.ini or the progs that run at startup.......

i uchecked the progs i dont need.....then they ask for a restart.....n after that startup mode changes from normal to some other(diagnostic i think)......so i put it back to normal.......they ask to restart again....after that all the programs i had unchecked bocomes checked agai !!!!.....:(

champ_rock

champ_rock
why dont you try BOOTVIS... a tool by microsoft to sped up ur comp....

and if this also does not solve ur problem then i recommend you to Hibernate ur computer instead of shutting down... my comp is up running in 20seconds with hibernate........(it rocks.......)

ashfame

Padawan
champ_rock said:
why dont you try BOOTVIS... a tool by microsoft to sped up ur comp....

and if this also does not solve ur problem then i recommend you to Hibernate ur computer instead of shutting down... my comp is up running in 20seconds with hibernate........(it rocks.......)

How can I hibernate my comp.
I run win xp sp2.

champ_rock

champ_rock
click on the properties (right click on desktop) .. go to screensaver tab>power>hibernate

check the box of "Enable hibernation....."

then when u want to hibernate just press alt+f4.. the default screen will show.. then press Shift ... it will turn the standby icon into hibernate...

while holding the shift key press the HIBERNATE OPTION... ur comp will hibernate.... :).. then u can safely turn off the power supply....

to resume simply switch on the power of ur comp and ur windows will be up.. i n a few seco\nds...

(a note on hibernation... it restores ur pc to EXACTLY the same state as before... like u have 2 word documents open.. and a firefox window open... then when u resume from hibernation these things will be as it is...)

ashfame

Padawan
champ_rock said:
click on the properties (right click on desktop) .. go to screensaver tab>power>hibernate

check the box of "Enable hibernation....."

then when u want to hibernate just press alt+f4.. the default screen will show.. then press Shift ... it will turn the standby icon into hibernate...

while holding the shift key press the HIBERNATE OPTION... ur comp will hibernate.... :).. then u can safely turn off the power supply....

to resume simply switch on the power of ur comp and ur windows will be up.. i n a few seco\nds...

(a note on hibernation... it restores ur pc to EXACTLY the same state as before... like u have 2 word documents open.. and a firefox window open... then when u resume from hibernation these things will be as it is...)

I tried it, it goes to hibernate but when i switch the UPS on, computer power on itself & instead of waking up from hibernate, it shows boot screen, welcome screen, startup application loads & then finally to desktop

champ_rock

champ_rock
while shutting down does it show that the COmputer is hibernating and shows a graphical interface with a scrolling bar(like at the windows start up)...

ashfame

Padawan
champ_rock said:
while shutting down does it show that the COmputer is hibernating and shows a graphical interface with a scrolling bar(like at the windows start up)...

yes it happens like that but how do i know that the comp. is waking up from hibernation or booting up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom