Status
Not open for further replies.

ra_sriniketan

In the zone
Got win2000 professional & XP professional.Recently XP crashed but at the boot time i can see both the OSs as a list.I want to remove winXP from the boot loading list.How?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
In C:\ drive, there will be a HIDDEN & Read-Only file named "Boot.ini".
Open this file and delete the line saying "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" (or something like that).
Make sure that the 3rd line saying Default= contains the path of Windows 2000 professional.
Now save the file and reboot to see the changes! :)

balu_c

Broken In
Open your winnt folder under C: drive and find "boot.ini" file and remove entry for win xp and set default os to win2K this shoukd fix your problem

hermit

Journeyman
click--->Start ; RT click MY COMPUTER--->properties---->ADVANCE----->Start up and Recovery----> EDIT

DELETE THE OS NO LONGER EXISTS

HERMIT

OP
R

ra_sriniketan

In the zone
Strangely could not locate the boot.ini file after unhiding the files in C: and could not find the EDIT button in strat up & recovery.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
just edit the boot ini found in the root of the c:\ just remove the line that says::: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Kniwor

Learner
ra_sriniketan said:
Strangely could not locate the boot.ini file after unhiding the files in C: and could not find the EDIT button in strat up & recovery.

what is your boot partition.. look in the partition manager....
and boot.ini will be in that partition...

vysakh

Padawan
ra_sriniketan said:
in folder options, there is an option to hide the system files and folders. uncheck it and then you can see this file.
it mite be a read only file, so u will have to change the attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom