boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.

vysakh

Padawan
yesterday, i bought digit and installed zone alarm.
it required a restart and i did it. during booting, an error came
"invalid boot.ini
booting from c:\windows"

then it is all normal. i went to c:\ but i couldnt find boot.ini file even though the hidden files and system files are shown. in the run command, i typed c:\boot.ini and pressed enter which resulted in an error telling that windows cannot find it.
i ran msconfig but the boot.ini tab is not present at all

i right clicked my computer and went to advanced--startup and recovery settings. an error came "The C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened. Operating systems and timeout settings cannot be changed"

what happened to my boot.ini????

Deep

Version 2.0
try login using administrator with blank password and see

windows might block access to boot.ini to users other than administrator..

Deep

allindrome

Journeyman
Try My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Statup & Recovery>Settings and try to edit boot.ini. Or else if you have a backup of boot.ini then try to place it in C:

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
just type out the file, name it boot.ini and put it on ur drive...as simple as that....
i had a similar problem a long time back....dunoo how but the boot.ini disappeared frm my drive...called up tech support...they said just get the file frm some1 who runs XP home and put it on ur drive...no issues since then....lemme know if ya need the file....

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
It's easy to create the boot.ini file from scratch instead of going to the trouble of copying it from somewhere else. Create a new text file in your C: partition with Notepad and name it boot.ini. Don't forget to change the extension from .txt to .ini.

If you need to know what the contents of the boot.ini file should be, post back here with info about where and how your OS(es) are installed.

BTW, do you have your OS installed in a partition other than C: ?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Type this in NotePad and Save as boot.ini in C:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"  /fastdetect

This wil work if you have XP in C: .. btw .. I have disabled DEP you can enable it by .. setting the option to /NoExecute= ...

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi
The boot.ini file will not be visible even if u have checked the "Show hidden files or Folders". What u have to do is get into Command Prompt and issue the command "attrib boot.ini -a-s-h". This will clear all the permissions. Now you can see the boot.ini file or edit it using EDIT in DOS prompt itself... Make sure u htake a back up of the file before editing it.....

Regards,
Ramprasad

theraven

Technomancer
The boot.ini file will not be visible even if u have checked the "Show hidden files or Folders". What u have to do is get into Command Prompt and issue the command "attrib boot.ini -a-s-h".
what u need to do is also set the "show system files" in folder options
no need to clear attirbs manually .. since after editing u have to set them back anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom