Boot Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruisetjj

Broken In
Hi all,

Very often while using the computer the computer suddenly shuts of all audio i.e no sound from my computer, virtually disconnects the keyboard as it stops working, disconnects the network etc. none of my files got damaged but if i restart the computer with properly shutting down in this case, then the computer fails to boot. I thought it was some prob with the OS but when i connected another harddisk, i got the same error. BOot disk not found. Please insert it. In the BIOS setup it detects all the devices (sometimes it dosent, another part of the problem). I have even set HArddisk to first boot device. This makes me think my BIOS is corrupted. What is your oppinio? I am using WINXP, SP2. PIV 2.8 GHz,
If the bios is corrupted, what do i do? Is there any solution other than flashing it which i belive is a sensitive and risky option? IS there anyway to prevent such further attacks.
Let me add that from day 1 i always had an antivirus program with the latest updates. Before connecting network i installed sp2. I even setup an firewall.

please help. THanx in advance

swatkat

Technomancer
try booting the computer through the bootable Floppy or bootable CD(recent Digit CDs for that matter),after setting boot priority to Floppy and CD respectively.If the PC boots,then the BIOS may be alright.if it doesn't there may be a problem with BIOS and the give it to service provider to repair it.
As you said,that it gave same error for another HDD,try the above option and croos-check it.
Try changing IDE cable of the HDD.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
How about this ...Its just your harddisk MBR ( Master Boot Record ) is curropted or worse Harddisk.
Try running knoppix ( Boot from Knoppix Cd or windows Live Cd )
If you can network or run everything then its your Harddisk thats at fault.
Resort to Motherboard Flashing as the Last resort ....coz any mistake will make your MOBO Virtually useless.

OP
C

cruisetjj

Broken In
thanx both of you. What i plan to do is back up my data and then reformat and repartition the harddrives. then reinstall windows i.e a fresh start. But i guess if my bios is corrupted, this wont help, right?
I'll try knoppix. I have never used so will have to first learn how to use it.

Thanx once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom