Boot Camp 1.2 Beta - Download the Public Beta for Windows Vista support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
*img134.imageshack.us/img134/6080/tops20070326lh6.gif​

In the next major release of Mac OS X Leopard, Apple will include a new technology called Boot Camp that lets you install and run Windows on your Mac. If you have an Intel-based Mac computer and would like to try Boot Camp, you can download the public beta today.

As elegant as it gets
Boot Camp lets you install Windows without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple does not sell or support Microsoft Windows. Boot Camp will burn a CD with all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

*images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/images/systemmanager20060405.gif
Optional alt. At startup, hold down the option key (alt) to choose between Mac OS X and Windows.

Run Windows natively
Once you’ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key (that’s the “alt” key for you longtime Windows users) at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. After starting up, your Mac runs Windows natively just like a PC. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

What you’ll need
  • Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.6 or later (check Software Update)
  • The latest firmware updates (check Support Page)
  • 10GB free hard disk space
  • An Intel-based Mac
  • A blank recordable CD or DVD
  • A printer for the instructions (You’ll want to print them before installing Windows, really.)
  • A bona fide full version of Microsoft Windows: XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2, WIndows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate. (No upgrade or multi-disc versions).

The Boot Camp course
Boot Camp Public Beta provides a straightforward means of letting your Mac run Windows. Here’s how it works:
  • First, you need to make sure your Intel-based Mac has the latest version of Mac OS X and the latest firmware updates. These provide technologies that make Boot Camp possible. It’s also wise to print out the Installation & Setup Guide.
  • Boot Camp burns a disc with the drivers Windows needs to recognize Mac-specific hardware. It is very important to do this before starting the Windows installation.
  • The software also helps you set aside hard drive space for the Windows installation, without moving any of your Mac files around. Just drag the intuitive slider to choose the size that’s right for you. Boot Camp also makes it easy to remove the Windows partition later, should you so desire.
  • Next, insert your Windows installation disc, follow the installation instructions that come with Windows. Be sure to select the appropriate disk partition or you could erase your Mac files accidentally. Remember, Apple does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.
  • After the installation process is complete and your Mac has booted Windows, you’ll need the Mac Drivers disc you burned previously. When you insert the disc, it will automatically install the drivers. Follow the instructions in the Installation & Setup Guide for helpful hints.
  • Don’t forget to follow best practices for updating and protecting your Windows system (see “Word to the Wise” at the bottom).
*images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/images/choosepartition080806.jpg *images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/images/partition080806.jpg
Space maker. Meet the most elegant hard drive utility ever.

Changes in Boot Camp 1.2 beta
Boot Camp 1.2 beta contains several updates and is intended for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users.

Boot Camp 1.2 beta includes:
  • Support for Windows Vista (32-bit)
  • Updated drivers, including but not limited to trackpad, AppleTime (synch), audio, graphics, modem, iSight camera
  • Support the Apple Remote (works with iTunes and Windows Media Player)
  • A Windows system tray icon for easy access to Boot Camp information and actions
  • Improved keyboard support for Korean, Chinese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, and French Canadian
  • Improved Windows driver installation experience
  • Updated documentation and Boot Camp on-line help in Windows
  • Apple Software Update (for Windows XP and Vista)

Updating to Boot Camp 1.2 beta
If you previously installed Boot Camp beta, you can easily update to Boot Camp 1.2 beta. You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Mac Drivers CD and install the updated software it contains onto Windows. Complete instructions are provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the Boot Camp 1.2 beta software.

Using Windows on a Mac
Mac hardware operates differently from PCs, and this public beta does not support all features of the Mac in Windows. Learn more about running Windows on a Mac.

Mac OS X Leopard
Get a sneak peak at the other new features in Leopard on the Mac OS X Leopard site. Developers can learn more about Mac OS X Leopard on Apple's Developer site.

EFI and BIOS
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Word to the Wise
Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

Tell a Friend
Email people you think might be interested in Boot Camp for Intel-based Macs.

Feedback
Please provide bootcamp@apple.com feedback to improve future versions of the software.

It had to happen some day. We all expected it would only come with Leopard but it seems Apple knows how to keep pace with Microsoft. It's a shame I don't have any need for Vista. I really wanted to try this out.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Good : You posted a news about a Software relese & update

Bad : You made it smell anti-window

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I never did that. Just because I said that Vista is of no use to me, the thread becomes anti-Windows? LOL!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Warning: Running Windows on a Mac or MacOS X requirs you to buy a whole new computer from Apple computers starting at Rs 32k for Mac mini without Monitor Keyboard & Mouse. You will need to throw away the existing one & you cannot upgrade your Mac too.

Issued in public interest. Just making things clear.

Windows XP, and even Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

Such a nice language to say something which is not even true properly.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Those aren't my words, they are Apple's.

And it is not wrong of them to caution people that an unpatched Windows installation is an invitation to danger or to boast about the better technology they have.

And yeah, it is not true properly because they did not add that even after patching the system with the latest updates, a firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and a proper internet browser is must on a Windows installation.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Those aren't my words, they are Apple's.

Thanx for cleryfying & copy pasting.

And yeah, it is not true properly because they did not add that even after patching the system with the latest updates, a firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and a proper internet browser is must on a Windows installation.

:rolleyes: now what to say.....troll alert.

My advice : From now on whenever you boast that MacOS X is a better OS, do not forget to mention that it runs only on Apple hardware & the costs too

eddie

El mooooo
Is it like how we dual boot Linux and Windows or will we be able to use Mac applications from Windows and vice versa?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
eddie said:
Is it like how we dual boot Linux and Windows or will we be able to use Mac applications from Windows and vice versa?
It is like dual booting Windows & linux. You can work on one OS only at one time

Sourabh

Laptoping
Please try to resize the bigger images or totally avoid them. They seriously screw the layout for the lesser mortals who are still stuck on CRTs and lower resolution LCDs. The forums would have some image resizer thinggy soon, until then... do the dirty work.

I thank God for Opera!

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Sourabh said:
Please try to resize the bigger images or totally avoid them. They seriously screw the layout for the lesser mortals who are still stuck on CRTs and lower resolution LCDs. The forums would have some image resizer thinggy soon, until then... do the dirty work.

I thank God for Opera!
Done as requested.

I had a hard time figuring out which image was supposed to be large in my post though. Blame my 1680x1050 resolution for the callousness. :D

eddie said:
You can never use Mac applications from Windows.
However, you can do the vice-versa thing by installing Crossover for Mac, a software that allows you to run Windows applications on a Mac.
There are also virtualisation applications like Parallels Desktop for Mac and VMWare Fusion (currently in beta) that allow you to run a full fledged Windows installation right on OS X as a separate application. So you can run Mac OS X, Windows and Linux simultaneously.
Parallels Desktop for Mac has an innovative feature called 'Coherence' that makes the Windows interface disappear leaving behind the application windows. So it looks like the Windows applications are running right on Mac OS X, very similar to Crossover. The applications are also represented as separate icons in the dock. You can also launch Windows applications from the dock itself. :)

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Yeah, Parrallels Desktop is great. Actually, Boot Camp sucks when compared to Parallels.

You have to reboot to switch to Windows or Linux - beats one of the main reasons to get a mac (no need for reboots).

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Both are supposed to serve different purposes. If you are into gaming, you can use Boot Camp to do so.

Of course, it is totally ridiculous to use a Mac just for gaming unless it is the Mac Pro.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I know. But I just don't like the idea of dual-booting.

I used to play games on my Mac mini. It ran Doom 3! Okay, at the lowest settings, but I was just glad that it ran. (Now I've sold my mini and have bought a Mac PRo)

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I do like gaming. But I play games available for OS X. I mainly play id software games.

I also play some Dashboard widget games like Sudoku.

goobimama

 Macboy
Of course, it is totally ridiculous to use a Mac just for gaming unless it is the Mac Pro.

I happen to play games like Age of Empires III, Need for speed Carbon, and tried some other demos with full 1650*1050 resolution and almost all effects turned on...

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I happen to play games like Age of Empires III, Need for speed Carbon, and tried some other demos with full 1650*1050 resolution and almost all effects turned on...
He's talking about using a Mac for gaming - not just any PC. Mac PRo is recommended for best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom