Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunks

Hey here is the aks
Boot and run Knoppix from a USB flash memory stick

This walkthrough explains how to install and run Knoppix Linux from a USB Flash Pen Drive through Windows. Knoppix is a fully featured Live Linux version that contains plenty of tools.

Knoppix screenshot Knoppix screenshot

You’ll need the following:

1GB or Larger USB Flash Pen Drive

Knoppix Linux

HP USB tool (for formatting the stick)

Winrar (or another ISO extracting app)

Syslinux 3.11

The Process:

Download the HP USB tool and format your stick with the tool using the Fat or Fat32 file system.

Download the Knoppix Linux ISO.

Download and extract syslinux-3.11.zip to a directory called syslinux311 on your computer.

Open your Knoppix ISO using winrar. Extract the files from the ISO to your USB stick.

Move the contents from the /boot/isolinux directory to the root of the stick.

Delete isolinux.bin and rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg.

Run the command prompt in windows (start/run/cmd) and CD to the syslinux311 directory. Then CD again to the win32 directory within the syslinux311 directory. Once there simply type syslinux.exe F: (F: being the example drive letter of the USB stick in this system)

Reboot your PC, go into your system BIOS and set your boot order to boot from any selectable USB device. (example USB_ZIP or use USB_HDD)

Save your BIOS settings. On the next reboot, you should have a successful launch of Knoppix Linux from your USB memory stick.

Enjoy! Bye

Author: ~The Pendrive Doctor~

Article Source: *www.pendrivelinux.com

Last edited:

harikatt

In the zone
yes. i too used the slax linux too, its very good and also easy to install through USB drive. there are so many flavours of slax linux. according to our usage we can pick them. i am using killbill flavour of slax linux. and its with auto installation of wine. from which we can eaisly run windows programs. Even my Adobe photoshop 5 works fine with in linux program.

thanks for the linux developers.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
As per my experience slax is the best distro out there for USB drives. I really liked it. And I don't think there's any such image available for Ubuntu that can be used to boot through USB drive. Maybe if you don't get an answer here, try asking in ubuntuforums, there maybe some project unknown to me.

praka123

left this forum longback
debian linux also can be run from usb disk.check wiki below for details.debian is a gr8 distro with its amazing apt,dpkg,wajig mechanisms.
*live.debian.net/wiki/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom