Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
I didn't ask for Open Suse 10.2 to upgrade by I did install some smp drivers or something from the repositories. Now what has happened is that I have another option in Grub boot menu which is the default.

I tried installing vmware but it asks for src files for Linux which I installed in /usr/src/linux but vmware says that it is not the correct one for this version. Why exactly has bigsmp installed itself like this and how do i go about uninstalling it. If I try to uninstall it, will it break something or will it automatically remove itself from the grub menu?

eddie

El mooooo
From where did you get the Linux source files? If it is official vanilla source then it will not work. You need to look for bigsmp kernel in your package manager and install from there. If no such kernel source is available then you will have to change your kernel to non-bigsmp one. Remember that kernel running on your system and installed source need to be of exactly same version and type.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
oh... ok, i don't seem to need the bigsmp kernel after all. I am planning to remove my internal modem and use an external one. So can I uninstall that without breaking my grub?

eddie

El mooooo
Keeping in mind the kind of user friendly distro SUSE is...it will most probably make all config changes by itself but you must make any changes to your kernel using package manager. Not by-hand. If you do it by hand...then you'll have to edit GRUB's files by-hand as well.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
selecting delete in YaST says that if I delete that then I have to reinstall the kernel to avoid having it to edit the grub file by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom