Best ways 2 use your Second HD... HELP !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
"if you have a second physical disk in your machine, you can boost performance by moving your paging file (pagefile.sys) onto your second drive"

I hear this all the time... is it TRUE ?

If yes then... shall i make my (20 GB FAT 32 HD) into Paging file disk ?
And should i disable the page file in... my main HD ?

Also, I got this HD from a fren, it's working fine... but it had 5 BAD clusters. (which i surfaced scanned and all)... but my fren didn't want it, so i took it... it's basically FREE!!!

I will be using it only for PAging file and TEMP folder for my Other softwares (like Audition, Photoshop... KAZA, Limeware...etc)

Now... is there any software, that can further check, or help in BAD clusters?

Till now... it has only, 5 BAD clusters... HELP !!!

Please... Gsoul2soul

Last edited:

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
No. AFAIK Norton can just mark out bad sectors so that no further data is written on it and may try to recover it

janitha

Wise Old Owl
AFAIK any such software (even Scandisk) will mark them so that they will not be used again. But my experience is that once a disk starts developing bad sectors it will go on increasing.

Regarding page file, I have disabled it after upgrading to 2 GB and have'nt faced any sort of problem. But if you are using very memory intensive programmes, dont do it.

slagad

Broken In
You can use the additional disk providing you correct it with the above softwares and keep an eyes on it for 1 month after installation. Do not store important data in the second drive until you are very sure of its perfomace and reliablity. Now as far as pagefile is concerned take note of the following rules:
1) If you have 1 HDD then tranfer the pagefile to another partition (other than C:).
2) if you have 2 HDD's then always your Pagefile should be in the C: drive.

I don't know the exact logic but this is what is always suggested.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
ok what u can do is use scan disk in DOS mode and see where the first bad cluster is present. U can make a partition so that the partition doesnt contain any bad cluster. Then u can use that partition and ignore or del the remaining partitions.
The logic behind this is that (its our logic not a certified one) if the head doesnt read a bad sector it wont spread. So we just do it. Im using a bad sectored hdd for linux. It was a 80 gb one, it fell from a frends hands and since then I partition it only for 40 gb and its working flawlessly. U can give it a try.

sakumar79

Technomancer
If the second hard disk is as fast as or faster than the primary, you should go for it. Otherwise, it might not be as beneficial.

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom