best way to install new softwares without internet on Linux

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by pravinbv, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pravinbv

pravinbv How are you?

Best and Simplest way to install Softwares in Linux UBUNTU and MINT without internet connection:

Please note that it is considered that you dont have internet on host pc but can go to internet cafe.

you can get the PDF version of this file with images here

Here are steps:

1)Go to Software manager or Mint Install (not to synaptic packege manager, thats different)

2) Click on the software you want to install on ur pc. Here i want to install “FontForge” in Graphics category.
    It will give a short discription about the software you clicked. Now click on the “Install” button.

3) When you click, the above window will appear. Again click on install button.
    When you click on 'install' button it will try to connect to internet and download neccesary packeges but it will fail and show error.

4) In the error box all those required pagages will be given. Click in that box and copy all those links to a text file.

5) Now by using find and replace function delete these lines
    “W:Failed to fetch” and “Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' and save the file with the name of Software.

6)take that file to the computer with internet connection and copy paste the links. It will directly download the files. Save those files in a seperate folder with name of Software.

Please note that if you want to download many softwares, use seperate folders with appropriate names otherwise your installation may give error and many time this also happen that some of the dependancies required by the software you want to install have already been satisfied by some other related software which were not in the default intallation. So while installing softwares, use the same sequence as that of you used to copy the links in above manner.

7)Now to install the software open the folders with the downloaded files. Open a new “Terminal Window”. And browse to the folder with all those perticular software files. Here if have those three files in folder “Font Forge” i have to browse inside that folder. Use command “ls” without quotes. It should give you the list of files you have inside that folder. Now use these commands.

>> [FONT=&quot]su[/FONT]
    this will ask you your passward. Give it. And then use

[FONT=&quot]>> dpkg -i *.deb[/FONT]

this will install your software. If somehting goes wrong because of circular dependancies, you can use this command:

[FONT=&quot]>> dpkg -i --force-depends *.deb[/FONT]

This must install your new software. Use the same commands to install other downloaded software.

you can get the PDF version of this file with images here

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. calanor

calanor New Member

as linux mint is based on ubuntu i think a better way is to download all the packages and copy them to /var/cache/apt/packages and then simply installing them with add remove
    but you need to have root permissions in order to write in /var ,to do this simply type
    sudo nautilus and copy all the packages you want
    -----------------------------------------
    Posted again:
    -----------------------------------------
    as linux mint is based on ubuntu i think a better way is to download all the packages and copy them to /var/cache/apt/packages and then simply installing them with add remove
    but you need to have root permissions in order to write in /var ,to do this simply type sudo nautilus and copy all the packages you want:)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  3. calanor

calanor New Member

sry for the double post
    net connectivity sucks in our college

4. OP
    OP
    pravinbv

pravinbv How are you?

thanks for ur reply. i am also a new at LINUX. and ur trick is really better. thanks.

5. Naveen.S

Naveen.S Linux User

I am using this trick for a long time and iirc, I have posted it earlier too.

Let say, you want to install package 'abc'.
    Execute this
    Code:
     sudo apt-get -qq --print-uris install abc | cut -d\' -f 2 > package_links 
    Above code will create a file package_links.

If you have Linux machine having internet access ( distro doesn't matter ), copy package_links and just execute this
    Code:
    wget -i < package_links 
    wget will download all packages listed in package_links file.

In case, you have Windows OS only, download packages listed in package_links file.

Copy those packages to /var/cache/apt/archives folder.

Execute this to install package :
    Code:
     apt-get install abc 
    This method works fine for all Debian based distros.
    So, 4 easy steps only.

• Create package_links file
    • Download packages
    • Move downloaded packages to /var/cache/apt/archives folder.
    • Execute install command.

6. thewisecrab

thewisecrab AFK

7. papul1993

papul1993 not a newbie.....

does any one know how to do that on arch linux?

8. bbalegere

bbalegere New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.