best linux magazine????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
There are not really much options in India! You could go with LinuxForYou ! Although its not the best,they are constantly improving and also, as I said before, there is not much competition in that market!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
See these threads
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76091
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76015

And yes, LFY is good

Rahim

Married!
I have been buying Linux For You for the last 4 months and i am not dissappointed.
The only gripe is they dont seem to provide Live CD/DVD, but only installers.

Pat

Beyond Smart
rahimveron said:
I have been buying Linux For You for the last 4 months and i am not dissappointed.
The only gripe is they dont seem to provide Live CD/DVD, but only installers.

There is no such deliberate choice of not providing Live cds/dvds! If there are good ones available and there is enough demand, they do ship Live CDs/DVDs occassionally too!! Which one in particular do you want ?

Rahim

Married!
Here is the ones they provided:
Debian 4.0 (3 DVDs)
Mandriva 2008
Fedora 7 & 8
How can i try it if they are not Live CD/DVD? You say there is no Demand!!! The ones mentioned have higher demands than you think. Have you bought L4U?
A Live CD has way too much benefits than an plain installer. Most people dont know what Linux is, so the best way to go is to provide Live ones, so they can play and see if all their hardware is supported or not without screwing their Systems!!! So it should not be prefernce or demand for the Mag but compulsory to provide Live ones.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I think the people who actually interested enpugh to buy a mag which is just for Linux must have good enough idea of the Distros they put in and their features / issues.

Even blindly installing any distro doesnt going to crash the system.

Live CD is good but not a must. Anyways all we want is Ubuntu GG and we have it :D

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
^^but LFY is not for linux n00bs. Live CDs are therefore provided in Digit, PC World, etc, which are windows magazines.

They include topics for beginners under the For you and Me section I think . However a major portion is for intermediate to advanced users.

Pat

Beyond Smart
rahimveron said:
Here is the ones they provided:
Debian 4.0 (3 DVDs)
Mandriva 2008
Fedora 7 & 8
How can i try it if they are not Live CD/DVD? You say there is no Demand!!! The ones mentioned have higher demands than you think. Have you bought L4U?
A Live CD has way too much benefits than an plain installer. Most people dont know what Linux is, so the best way to go is to provide Live ones, so they can play and see if all their hardware is supported or not without screwing their Systems!!! So it should not be prefernce or demand for the Mag but compulsory to provide Live ones.

They provide live cds once in a while! And as others have mentioned,although LFY does have a noob-friendly "For you and me" section, a major part of the mag is meant for intermediate to advanced users!

I was just trying to help you if you needed any particular live cd or dvd! There was no need to be rude! As far as your question about me buying LFY mag is concerned, yup..I do..I have been a subscriber since its initial launch!! And for your information,I am the community-moderator on the LFY forum.So I was just trying to help you !!

Last edited:
^^thats a common attitude that many newbies have. and yes, if you really do need a distro, just ask for it here in the distro request thread. I have the most handsome collection ever :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom