Best Linux distro

Status
Not open for further replies.
guyz,i am a linux newbie and dont know much about it.
i just installed PCLinuxOS on my PC and kuch samajh nahi aa raha.
which is the best linux distro for a newbie.
and which is the best overall.
PClinuxOS looks gud,excellent but i just dont know how to use it.
please help guyz.
please.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Try Ubuntu if you want. I'm surprised PCLINUXOS is giving you a hard time but, considering its REALLY newbie friendly, especially to former Windows users.

Just give it some time, mess around with it and get used to the different things you can do I guess.

@faraaz,i have 8600GT,i cant get its drivers for linux.
i cannot setup net on it.
can u give me any readme or something as i cant find any help inside the PClinuxOS.
BTW ,it looks very gud.
i will be glad id i come to know how to use it.
is there any software on it to automatically get the drivers.
i hope intel drivers and webcam driverswork on it.
does it have wine?
whre can i get its wallpapers and themes?

faraaz

Evil Genius
Have you tried Synaptic manager? That has everything...

As for your driver, I know for a fact that NVidia has released beta binary drivers for its 8600 series cards on their website. Just go download and install.

Also, try reading the PCLinuxOS Wiki, and I suggest asking questions on the PCLOS forums, not here...as the people there are more likely to be able to help you.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
There is a command for setup DSL internt connection in ubuntu/kubuntu. I think it may same in other linux Distro also. You can try it.

In the terminal window type
Code:
sudo pppoeconf
a wizard will appear go through the wizard in most the cases yes. Some where it ask for whether u will start dsl at system startup, press yes/no as per your choice.
After setting up the connection open terminal window and type under mentioned command to start the connection
Code:
pon dsl-provider
and for disconnection type
Code:
poff dsl-provider

praka123

left this forum longback
^it will not work for u on pclinuxos as that commands are specific for Debian based distros like mepis,ubuntu and Debian.
For u,
the kde menu itself may contain network settings.start a new connection of pppoe.or use terminal(konsole) and the commands are adsl-setup or pppoe-setup as root,ie use su and give root passwd.

this pclinuxos is very complicated.
which one is better pclinuxos 2007 or ubuntu 7.10?
and which is easier to use?
i like pclinuxos better than ubuntu 7.04.
dunno how is 7.10.
and also,i cannot install my intel motherboard drivers,graphix card drivers etc on pclinux os.
there is no autorun and we have to select all the files manually to install.
please help guyz.
BTW thanks praka,thanx,but i want to set up bridge mode conn on pcinuxos ,is there any help?

praka123

left this forum longback
^for bridgemode only those commands.i support @faraaz that u read pclinos wiki and ubuntu 7.10 also will look almost the same because the default Desktop environment is Gnome,unlike kde which pclinos uses.

apt is there for pclinos too.please read pclinos docu.

While i feel Ubuntu and Gnome easy for new users as no confusing things are there.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
imho there are two noob friendly distros:

1) pclinuxOS for those who want the windowsish looks
2) linux mint who don't mind the linux look

out of the two i'd recommend linux mint (based on ubuntu) as thats a more serious and lighter of the two distros and has everything out of the box.

azzu

AJJU
get linux MINt digit is giving this month if u want to stay in ur download limit
i tried MANDRIVA it was kool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom