Not open for further replies.

amrit1

Are we there yet?
What do u think which antivirus software is best :?: :?: :?: :?:
i think that AVG is better than anything as it does not slowdown the pc

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
None of the above...

Best choices in paid: Kaspersky (by the way their version 6.0 just released!), NOD32, Bitdefender.

Best choices in free: Antivir, Avast.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Several similar posts exist... search before posting...

Reporting...

[Edit] Avast Pro is the best and very light too, tho not the lightest...

Kniwor

Learner
But Softwares change with time..... so does the order of "Which is the best?"

i think we can have a thread here...... and let's see waht's good right now....

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
@Kniwor
U r very true in that...things do keep changing in this "fast-paced" tech world so its better to have a new discussion as n wen needed...

As a matter of fact even I asked the same ques sum 6-8 months back...

n for me Avast is gud these days...used to b an AVG fan for long....

eTrust & Kaspersky Antivirus are gud in paid category...infact I eTrust ppl are giving 1 yr free trial...as mentioned in another thread...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Norton & Kaspersky are the best antivirus
softwares available. Both are equally good.

When you determine a antivirus rating, it depends
on how well it kills the viruses, how much resources
it uses, and how good is the overall product. And
lastly, how stable is it!!

manmay

Journeyman
i have been thru a long list of antiviruses...
earlier i used to use pc cillin. then shifted to avg free version. but found that it was unable to dis-infect...the only cure it knew was to delete the infected file.
then i shifted over to norton antivirus..to find that it was really taxing the system. the system slowed down to a crawl, even though i have a descent config. i hav to agree that the detection and prevention disinfection and removal was the best.
but what's the use if it converts your amd 64 bit 3000+ to pentium3 700 mhz.
i then shifted to kaspersky and found that it was quite good. really in all terms...system load detection and all...but being a great digit fan....and
after reading the digit's small handy book recomending avast...i had to shift over to avst.
only to find that it really was very light on the system, but did not do a good job of detecting adn cleaning the system.
problems i faced with avast were:
#it was unable to find some viruses that i later found out using other antivirus s/f.
#50 % of the times it was unable to disinfect the affected files.
#a few days before my uninstalling avast ...it was detecting all of my software collection i.e. the .exe files as virus. for some time i though that maybe some virus has affected the files. so had to delete ...later found out that it was all a hoax...and the antivirus had gone kaput. i re installed after unstalling...
finally it proved its effective ness when it was unable to detect a virus enbedded inside a .exe file that i had downlaoded. i made avast check the file before installing...but after the installation was complete....it says that a virus has been found ..now the fun part starts here.
i clcik on remove the virus completely form the system...but on next reboot it finds the same virus again....i tried every method avaible in ti....
finally i shifted to zonealarm security suite it contains a antivirus suite a firewall a anti spyware all of it bundled into one. the firewall initially used to poke its nose in each and every thing that need some sorta access. but after some time and configuring each alert and the settings i am happy to say that it is going gr8 and steady . lots of advanced setting are there for advanced users and very intutive interface. and most of all it contains all the afore mentioned suite in built.
it is a little cpu hungry but only when some new files r being accessed. it check every exe file that the system is accessing for the first time .... whether a virus is embedded inside.

now this was a long post i could post this reply in the reviews section....lol...neway...i hope this was helpful.
adios

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
I used Norton .. with updated def. it was gr8

But Now I no-more use it.

ANTIVIR is best, very low on resources.
>>>> *www.free-av.com/

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
As long as your system remains clean,everything is coool....
btw,iam using norton right now...though 2003 version,as its least systems resource hungry...NOT like NAV 2006!!

Vyasram

The pWnster
I bought a legay copy of Norton TS 05 and Sys works 05,:( but I suffered from slow speeds and now i am using avast free edition and za firewall. Norton 05 sucks

nd4spd

Broken In
my friend also uses antivir, and its really the best.
the trozan and virus when can't be detected by my updated 2006 Norton antivirus, was caught by the Antivir

me also using antivir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom