Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by jobenjoseph, Oct 18, 2006.
Is ther any anti vrus which is good and does not slow the CPU processing
Try out AVAST Home edition.
Now this is about the 5th time or so I have seen almost similar questions.
avast! really lite!...eats 4MB memory
But better is NOD32 it provides gr8 security in proportion to the resources it uses...
Same here Avast is great
NOD32 .....though it eats memory but performs very well
Probably the lighest scaner: avast!
freeware : avast
paid : kav
try out NAV 2007 if possible, it's not using much RAM here, 8 MB total
i m just waiting for KAV 6 final to relese, i have tried their beta antivirus, it's good still not what i was expecting, like i went to system32 folder & it started scanning everything in that folder in real time & system started crawling for 2 mins.
Also , with a previous beta, when i was downloading itunes for working on an ipod, KAV was scanning that file being downloaded, so CPU usage went to 100%
thats why just waiting for the final version
Absoutely AVAST there is no other antivirus, that I know of, which is free & very lite on sys resources.
Avast is light on RAM but it dosen't have a good detection rate. Try BitDefender. It's far lighter than Norton and has one of the best detection rates in the business.
One more vote for avast!
Another Vote for AVAST, if you want system run without any problem,
I already used ZA (some problem with PC shut down for Win98)
KAV (some futures can not get enabled with Win98)
Look at this thread. Avast is way down the list. What use having an Antivirus just because it's light when it dosen't have a good detection rate?
1. Kaspersky version 184.108.40.2063 - 99.62%
2. Active Virus Shield by AOL version 220.127.116.119 - 99.62%
3. F-Secure 2006 version 6.12.90 - 96.86%
4. BitDefender Professional version 9 - 96.63%
5. CyberScrub version 1.0 - 95.98%
6. eScan version 8.0.671.1 - 95.82%
7. BitDefender freeware version 8.0.202 - 95.57%
8. BullGuard version 6.1 - 95.57%
9. AntiVir Premium version 7.01.01.02 - 95.45%
10. Nod32 version 2.51.30 - 95.14%
11. AntiVir Classic version 7.01.01.02 - 94.26%
12. ViruScape 2006 version 1.02.0935.0137 - 93.87%
13. McAfee version 10.0.27 - 93.03%
14. McAfee Enterprise version 8.0.0 - 91.76%
15. F-Prot version 18.104.22.168 beta - 87.88%
16. Avast Professional version 4.7.871 - 87.46%
17. Avast freeware version 4.7.871 - 87.46%
18. Dr. Web version 4.33.2 - 86.03%
19. Norman version 5.90.23 - 85.65%
20. F-Prot version 3.16f - 85.14%
21. ArcaVir 2006 - 83.44%
22. Norton Professional 2006 - 83.18%
23. AVG Professional version 7.1.405 - 82.82%
24. AVG freeware version 7.1.405 - 82.82%
25. Panda 2007 version 2.00.01 - 82.23%
26. Virus Chaser version 5.0a - 81.47%
27. PC-Cillin 2006 version 14.10.1051 - 80.90%
28. VBA32 version 3.11.0 - 79.12%
29. ViRobot Expert version 4.0 - 76.22%
30. UNA version 1.83 - 75.44%
look for nod32
although i don't use anti virus but tried nod32 . eats less resources .
AVAST and KAspersky
quick heal is best antivirus in terms of low cpu processing, next in line is kaspersky. i personally use kaspersky.
avast! is the one for you. It has got awesome On-access scanner and web shields.
just got rid of NAV yesterday and have been running nod32 since yesterday...its low on memory and so far has been doing good job of reporting and deleting viruses...
Separate names with a comma.