BERYL with NVIDIA on Open Suse 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I've just installed Beryl on Open Suse 10.2 (by following the info for "Beryl with nVidia drivers - no Xgl/AIGLXat" with the info given in: *en.opensuse.org/Beryl

It is working marvelously but I'm getting greedy now to achieve the Transparent 3D Cube effect as shown in the link given above.

Could someone please help me with the list of repositories and the installation process for the required 3D plugins etc to achieve the Transparent 3D cube effect?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I don't think you need to download anything extra. Also see this *wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Tips/Default_Commands . And you cn also play arpund with beryl settings.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Beryl worked absolutely fine for 2 days but slowly I've started facing stability issues eg. hanging applications when I play simple arcade games but it kept getting worse. But now I am unable to boot into Opensuse 10.2 as it gets stuck when it has to recognise my hdd partition where the OSS is installed...so I am no longer able to login to Opensuse 10.2.

I am planning to try reinstall the whole OSS again but this time I plan to install UBUNTU 6.10, as I've read in (*ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-330317.html) that SABAYON is the so called "official" distro where BERYL works the best.

So my question is: is there anyway I can get my current Opensue 10.2 to boot without any problems? IF NOT has anyone on this forum used UBUNTU 6.10 with BERYL? IF YES is it stable?

mehulved

Firstly, please rule out if there are any hardware problems. Cos it seems there could be problems with hard disk maybe.
If that's not the problem, then check the error at which you're getting stuck.
As, for ubuntu, I have used Beryl on Ubuntu 6.10 without any problems. But, I couldn't get beryl running on KDE, but I have heard about couple other who could, so no problems there.
As, for sabayon I didn't use it for long enough to see how easy it's package management is. Cos sabayon is based on gentoo but I have heard it's a lot easier. Getting started won't be a problem at all with sabayon. You could give it a try.
But, first of all I would ask you to try and get Opensuse working rather than just reinstall.

praka123

left this forum longback
caleb said:
So my question is: is there anyway I can get my current Opensue 10.2 to boot without any problems? IF NOT has anyone on this forum used UBUNTU 6.10 with BERYL? IF YES is it stable?
I am using and it's stable;though every day u'll get beryl updates :)( ,lotta plugins for all unwanted purposes...hmm..
here is the repo add this to ur ubuntu /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
deb *download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb edgy beryl-svn
and if u want below is my ubuntu edgy repo.
Code:
deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-proposed main restricted universe multiverse

deb *us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb *security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe multiverse

deb *archive.canonical.com/ubuntu edgy-commercial main

deb *download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb edgy 3v1n0

deb *wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main

deb *download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb edgy beryl-svn

But what happened to ur open susee?
did u partitioned again for some purpose?try to regain the partn and grub of the distro.try booting with some livecd distros like knoppix or ubuntu and get ur open suse partition mounted;u can check ur partn info by using "fdisk -l".lets not reinstall for all the small causes :) but why does opensuse hang?do u have enough ram available afaik a 512MB RAM will do

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I've rueld out Hardware problems because the system worked absolutely fine for 2 days after I had installed BERYL running on KDE also my windows XP is also on the same hard disk.

There is no error msg displayed as such but when it goes through the boot process it gets stuck exactly where it has to recognise the hard disk...no error msg nothing...it just gets stuck that's it.

In about 2 hours time I'll include that screen shot where it is getting stuck...right now I am downloading (for the past 10 hours) UBUNTU 6.10 just (10% more to go) otherwise I'll have to interrupt the download.

praka123

left this forum longback
^^ u may have ur LILO or GRUB line checked for correctness for susee.
open suse uses LILO?u need to check the /etc/lilo.conf for ur kernel and initrd paths correctly wrote.
but Ubuntu edgy is gr8-is based on Debian na..

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
To
praka123,

Thanks for your repo list will definetly try it....and am sure it'll be very useful.

As far as regaining the partition is not really a problem for me. But I very much like to have Opensuse 10.2 working again coz I really like it especially since I'm a newbie to linux and the max I've learned about linux is thru opensuse plus I liked the effect of BERYL on it.

I have 2GB ram (1gb x 2)...my system specs are mentioned in my signature below.

praka123

left this forum longback
SO RAM is not a prblm.afaik open suse uses LILO boot loader which am not proficient enough,but u can try to boot with suse install dvd/cd and afaik,it has an option to restore ur suse install.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes Opensuse 10.2 uses GRUB.

praka123 that is a great idea...I completely forgot that I can try to boot with suse install dvd... thanks.

Thank God for forums like these where life becomes a bit more easier.

Anyway I'll let you know how I fared with the resurrection of my Opensuse once I complete my download of UBUNTU 6.10 (just 6% more to go).

But here is one more question: is it possible to run 2 different Linux Distro's AND also XP i.e. 3 operating systems on one PC? If it is possible how do I go about it...coz the last time I tried it with Open Suse 10.2, Fedora Core 6 & XP I just couldn't boot into Fedora Core 6 but I could boot into Suse & XP.

But if it is possible I'd like to keep Open Suse 10.2 (I feel very comfortable with it) and XP Media Center and maybe try out Ubuntu 6.10 or Sabayon with BERYL...your comments please.

Last edited:

mehulved

Yeah it works.
Don't install a bootloader while installing the second distro, then manually modify the/boot/grub/menu.lst file to boot the second distro. Or there's a GUI method too in YAST, but I don't remember it as such now.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tech_your_future said:
Yeah it works.
Don't install a bootloader while installing the second distro, then manually modify the/boot/grub/menu.lst file to boot the second distro. Or there's a GUI method too in YAST, but I don't remember it as such now.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom