Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
I have purchased a set of rechargeable batteries. As a rule they say that we must discharge these batteries atleast 3 times for better use .

What is the way to discharge these batteries.

The type of batteries purchased are AA size and NImAh .

Thats all thanks.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
As a rule they say that we must discharge these batteries atleast 3 times for better use .

Technically, NiMH batteries do not have a "memory effect", but strictly speaking neither do NiCds. However NiMH batteries can experience voltage depletion, also called voltage depression, similar to that of NiCd batteries, but the effect is normally less noticeable. To completely eliminate the possibility of NiMH batteries suffering any voltage depletion effect manufacturers recommend an OCCASIONAL, complete discharge of NiMH batteries followed by a full recharge. NiMH batteries can also be damaged by overcharge and improper storage (see the NiCd section immediately above this one). Most users of NiMH batteries don't have to be concerned with this voltage depletion effect. But if you use a device say a flashlight, radio, or digital camera for only a short time every day and then charge the batteries every night, you will need to let the NiMH (or NiCd) batteries run down occasionally.

Source: *www.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html#NiMH memory

You can find good info about the batteries you purchased here. As it says above you only need to do an occasional discharge and like expert said you can discharge it by using any device until the battery charge gets depleted.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
See when I bought the charger I was told that the battery takes 3 hours to charge but now if you say that "good" quality chargers first discharge the battery and then charge them then in that case it should exceed the 3 hours stated.

SO how I am to be sure that the battery will be discharged and then charged and not just topped up.

Sky

Right off the assembly line
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
Henry David Thoreau

For optimum results , manufacturers advice that u should complete some 2-3 charging ang dischargins cycles. This discharging can be done by just utilising in power hungry eqpts like digital camera or maybe a walkman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom