Basic Debian Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
If I was considering to install Debian . I'm guessing that I should be installing Debian Etch. However what scares me is that all the packages seem to be prehistoric :( . An example.

Openoffice.org in Etch = 2.0.4
Actual Version available = 2.4.0

How difficult is upgrading your applications to the right versions. Should I be trying out Lenny instead. It says testing so I am sort of hesitant of trying it on it. PS. Any knowledge about the 64 bit version?

Thanks in advance.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
You should be trying lenny or sid.Etch is the stable version.(outdated packages)
lenny is more stable than sid.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Try debian lenny netinst cd (145MB). It will install base system.

Then just sudo aptitude xorg (67MB)
and to install desktop manager
sudo apttitude install gnome-core (200+MB)

That would be a minimum install, a breeze fast desktop experienc.

Though packages are a bit old but that doesnt break the fun.

Afterall you can add to the sources.list the ubstable repos to get the latest (but its prone to break ur system).

sources.lst file is attached here, just copy paste it to the directory /etc/X11/
after base system install

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well I doubt I can download all that unless I stay up and do it on my free time :(. However I'm also looking for the DVD so it might ease off some of the downloads I need.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^atleast Ubuntu used to boot in IDE emulation mode but for Debian I had to use AHCI emulation and then gave generic.all_generic_ide=1 boot parametr.

But I enjoy Debian more than Ubuntu, No more Oo-boon-tu now, only The-bee-yen :D. I have learned a lot while configuring the sh!t out of it.

Well I doubt I can download all that unless I stay up and do it on my free time :(. However I'm also looking for the DVD so it might ease off some of the downloads I need.
On 500NU it takes only 1hour to get a clean graphical desktop :D

And the advantage comes later, if u want to install again on another desktop, copy the debs in /var/cache/apt/archives to a pen drive and paste to the new installation, just edit the sources.list to the one in installed system.

connect to net and it will ask u for only a bit of MBs to download (15-20MB), if any.

Else there are 21CDs or 5DVDs in total to burn, choose what u like :)
*cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-dvd/

Last edited:
OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Thanks for the info. Although my page for usage on BSNL says its a home 500 now and shows free usage I want to get the first bill after change before I start doing this. The last thing I need to have is a bloated phone bill :D

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
^^OMFG,do I smell a pussy here?
Your informative post lacks content, quality or any kind of resemblance to sanity in the least. I have two words for you. You Fail!. So basically, screw you and the horse you rode in on.
Thanks. :D

praka123

left this forum longback
Debian Lenny @biju.it have newer packages.
While,I use Debian Sid which is a daily 10-30mb+ updates :lol:
My bet is,you should stick with Debian Lenny if u dont have fast net connxn.it is easy to install :)
also,Lenny got a gfxical installer along with classic curses based installer.
else,use apt-pinning to get needed package's latest version from Sid or experimental repositories :p

here is a sources.list db:*tuxicity.wordpress.com/my-sourceslist-for-debian-lennysid/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom