Basic and dynamic disk in windows xp. Urgent help required..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnpandya

Broken In
I had 20 GB hdd installed running Windows XP and then the 80 GB drive was added. Then i used Disk Manager available in Computer Management to partition the new hard disk.

I wanted to use my 20 GB hdd for another computer, so I removed it and made the 80 GB hard disk as primary master. Now when I try to install the opterating system from the bootable cd, it shows "Dynamic Disk" and does not show any partition or drive letter on the 80 GB disk and it shows zero free space.

How can I convert the Dynamic Disk into a Basic disk? If it is not necessary, then what should be done to install the operating system on the dynamic disk without disturbing my partitions and data?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
D00d, be really careful with these things. Did you choose Dynamic disk when using the diskmgmt snap-in? If you're a home user, ALWAYS choose basic. If you're running Windows Server 2003, its OK (?) to use Dynamic volumes.
What you need to do is boot off the WinXP CD, enter the Recovery Console and then format the dynamic volume (whatever drive letter you gave the volumes) and then restart and reinstall.
For more info, check out this and this
Next time, be careful. :D

OP
J

jnpandya

Broken In
So, there is no other way to recover the data from dynamic disk without connecting to another computer running WinXP?

[deXter]

Journeyman
You can use a WinPE or a BartPE based bootCD. These CDs are live XP-on-CDs.

Try searching for Winternals ERD Commander 2003 or any Bootable cd that is based on WinPE or BartPE. Download, install/burn and boot off the CD. You should be able to access all your files and do whatever you want to..

*img62.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

djmykey

Let the music play.....
ya wi xp disk management sux if u dont know what ur doin i also did da same thing and my data went off my new hdd. but i got it back frm a fren. so always use 3rd party utils or apna simple fdisk. and then only partition a hdd coz the xp thing is too complicated to understand.

OP
J

jnpandya

Broken In
Hi [deXter],

I solved my problem using the first hard disk. But I was curious to see Windows XP live on CD after I saw Knoppix and Gnoppix versions in linux. You were the first for me to give this kind of information. So just out of this curiosity, I downloaded the BartPE builder.

On running the builder, initially it did not continue saying that it will require SP1. I copied all the files from my Windows XP installation CD to HDD and updated the source using the SP1. Then used the same to create the ISO file. The file was created successfully.

I burned a CD and booted from that. After booting normally and even showing the Windows XP boot screen, the system hangs. I am using P-III 550 (512 kb cache) with 256 MB RAM on intel i810 motherboard. Will the CD require an advanced machine or should it work on my PC also?

Another question I wanted to ask:
I have downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD 2.4 also. It is written in the help that one can add other modules to the utilities given in the cd. How can I add some files if I don't have any option for choosing to add files to a cd burnt with ISO file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom