"Balagurusamy" or "yashwant kanetkar"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishitells

Always in Dreams...
Hi friends, i've just joined the BCA cource and as you know, C Programming is always there. Now i want to ask you that which book i should buy for learning C. Everyone suggests "Programming in ANSI C with E. Balagurusamy" or "Let us C by yashwant kanetkar". I am really confused. Could u please tell which book is better for learning good "C Programming". Please also suggest some other good books if any.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
If you are new to programming the EB. Yashwant is also good. If already have some programming knowledge, then try Shaum's series.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Read as many books as u can.......... no book is complete....... damn i used to be the best in the business in first year of engg coz i had complete control over C...... and finally programming is something that u are born with........ i have seen sup0er talented guys with Zero programming skill....... my view.....

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I disagree! Programming is nothing like ur born with. If it was so then most of us here would have made programs to solve our Differentiation and Integration problems in High school. Its more like Maths more you practice more you learn and u can never be a true master of it 'cause one day along the line a dude will come and tip u over. Yashwant Kanitkar is the best basic book for C as all B.E colleges follow it as text book. Alternative text book can be Balagurusamy. For reference sake refer to Schildt or Kerningham and Ritchie. :cool:

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
I disagree! Programming is nothing like ur born with. If it was so then most of us here would have made programs to solve our Differentiation and Integration problems in High school. Its more like Maths more you practice more you learn and u can never be a true master of it 'cause one day along the line a dude will come and tip u over. Yashwant Kanitkar is the best basic book for C as all B.E colleges follow it as text book. Alternative text book can be Balagurusamy. For reference sake refer to Schildt or Kerningham and Ritchie. :cool:

i dont know which engg college uses kanetkar's book as textbook.but i am sure vtu doesn't.

if you are learning from the start ,and want to learn quickly then go for yashwant kanetkar.you can't call it a bad book.there are lot of things to learn from it.
to be frank i got inspired by that book ,and the way he explains things inspired me and dragged me into programming field.
try to read from fourth edition,there are lot of extra chapters you might be interested(hardware related) .you can find the same in his website also.

after you get the theory required try to solve more and more problems which you think could be difficult.dont go for answers available.

one disadvantage is both of them wont stress on using standard code.but you can always learn them later .imo you shd go for kanetkar:smile:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
C is my fav. language.....IMO refer as many books as u can, but for basics refer Balagurusamy and Kanethkar........Kanethkar can't be used as a book for writing ur theory paper, it's a more interactive book to understand and learn the basics, more over it covers some advanced topics like 32-bit C under Windows & Linux + Grfx, API based hardware programing, etc.....also the examples used in Kanethkar use code snippets which r mostly found in C debugging....so its more helpful to those who r planning to make C as there specialization area in future

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Hell with those two books that teach you nothing much abcd's.

Get

C Programming Language - Dennis Ritchies & Brian Kennighan

The best book on C Language.

Seriously, stay away from balagurusamy's and kanetkar's.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
oh ic!!...I don't think for a BCA first yr stud needs to study from Dennis Ritchie & Kennighan........btw kanethkar is not so bad, he was the only guy from India who got the best teachers award from MS for covering Windows pgming and .NET

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
oh ic!!...I don't think for a BCA first yr stud needs to study from Dennis Ritchie & Kennighan........btw kanethkar is not so bad, he was the only guy from India who got the best teachers award from MS for covering Windows pgming and .NET

Why do you think that BCA first yr student need not study Dennis Ritchie's book.

It's not a complex book. It's pretty good and don't fix to basic books for a programming language that forms the base of programmer's career.

C lang is one language that you should really really work hard and learn everything inside out. It's simple but very vast.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Use Yashwant Kanetkar if you dont know anything about C. it'll give a firm understanding of C. Then you can try Schildt to know better...
The way kanetkar has put up the concepts is good...I dint need a teacher to learn C.(I used to BUNK classes..:D :D)

chandru.in

In the zone
desiibond + infinity

Neither is good. Till 5th Edition (dunno if they fixed it now), Let Us C used gets() without pointing out even remotely the huge disadvantage of using that function.

Both the books are too basic to spend money on. Read the free copy in your library instead.

"The C Programming Language" is the C book which covers real C (including a reference manual for C). Nothing beats it and the book is very simple to learn from too.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
+1 got Kernighan and Ritchie, while preparing for MCA I referred to that more often than LUC, I didn't like the latter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom