Bad sector problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi all,

I have a P4, 1.6GHz, 512MB and 40GB Seagate HDD.

Not until recently, I came to find that, my HDD has some Bad sectors. Nearly 350KB in a C: and a few KB in H:

I tried, SeaTools. But to my vain, I was not able to recover or patch them up.

Can anyone suggest me, whether Low level formatting will work to patch up the Bad Sectors. ?

And also recommend a tool to patch up the same....

Regards,
Ramprasad

digitizen

Journeyman
check this article or tutorial . but dont try anything urself without necessaery knowledge , which will result in you messing up your hard disk .
check this article [*www.ehow.com/how_113636_fix-sectors-hard.html][/url]

dabster

In the zone
My Computer is 2 months old i.e. New But one Day My XP crashed and it gave BSOD with error that some c00008 {Registry File Failure} I googled and found a solution for that But Now I have a bad sector on my Harddisk that is of size 4KB equal to link or chain Size for that NTFS partition

What should I do get a replacement Harddisk or it is just Fine As whenever I format this drive, I will be able to recover it.....

OP
ramprasad

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi,

I have seen that the bad sectors keep on multiplying...

Initially, on one fine morning , I had only 144KB of Bad Sectors.
By the end of the day, I had arnd 300KB..

So it is not wise, to leave them as such.

Regards,
Ramprasad

KoolFirE

Broken In
If you just want to "MARK" the Bad sectors so they wont be used the Thorough Scandisk (Windows 9x/ME) or chkdsk /r (Windows 2000/XP/2003).

But if you are looking for physically removing the bad sectors then Low Level Format is the only option. You can download the low level format utilities from the hard-Drive manufacturer's website.

azhararmar

Broken In
Try SPFDISK for DOS coz it helps you even restore the Corrupted Partition Hopes these help you..
Download SPFDISK HERE *spfdisk.sourceforge.net/
Read these:*www.iceteks.com/articles.php/spfdiskreview/1

legolas

Padawan
i presume u r not under warranty! i wud suggest u use "HDD regenerator". this is real good at fixing the bad sectors and recovering possible ones... but unfortunately its not freeware. its available in download.com. u cud try but.

/legolas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom