bad bad sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrongsen

Right off the assembly line
hello,
is it possible to isolate bad sector in a hard disk??If possible ,what is the procedure? wat tools do i need?..
But if it is not possible how to deal with it?

THANKS

WRONGSEN Lkr

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
You can use Norton Disk Doctor for that. It does the job without any problem. It is avialable with Norton System Works.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
if u r using a seagate hdd , download disc wizard starter edition bootable iso from their website , burn it 2 a cd and boot from it ... use the maintenance options to zero fill your drive. this will completely remove all logical bad sectors from ur drive but will take 3-4 hours or even more.

naikosen

Broken In
Use "Flobo HDDBadSectorRepair" to remove the physically damaged (bad) sectors, not mechanically, from your HDD.

expertno.1

Technomancer
@naikosen

it will not remove the bad sectors but it will mark the bad sectorsso that the os my not try to write any file in that sector

well in my old computer this was the problem and after getting a lot of bad sectors i had to replace the hard disk

so its time to do SURFACE SCAN of the hard disk

mohit

The Hardware Labs
emanym said:
mohit said:
if u r using a seagate hdd , download disc wizard starter edition bootable iso from their website , burn it 2 a cd and boot from it ... use the maintenance options to zero fill your drive. this will completely remove all logical bad sectors from ur drive but will take 3-4 hours or even more.

AFAIK,

Zero fill is done to make data unretrievable ;-)

logical bad sectors ??? what is that :)

Bad sectors are physical damage to HD which is not repairable, as expert no.1 told run scandisk (thorough mode) and it will mark all bad sectors as unusable. If problem persists replacing the HDD is the way to go :)

see this for diff between logical and physical bad sectors ,
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/faqs/faqs_20050422_0000115005.htm

and zero filling is done to completely remove all logical bad sectors as well as delete all the data permanently. its the last resort to try before dumping the hdd.

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
How to check for bad sector in a SATA hard disk????????
Because many utilities show accurately for the PATA but not for SATA any idea how to do it???????

naikosen

Broken In
expertno.1 said:
@naikosen

it will not remove the bad sectors but it will mark the bad sectorsso that the os my not try to write any file in that sector

You might be right, sir. But I have used this app for a lot of HDDs, formatted many times and found no bad sector being reported by any OS or progs. All progs are running smoothly with no errors generally caused by bad sectors are emerged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom