Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitDonz

Broken In
Hey guys, can any one answer this question : What do backup actually mean just copying the important files into other external storage; can we backup any software software such as Office, Corel Draw or something similar to that ?

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
open internet explorer...
click addressbar...
type www.wikipedia.org
press enter..
wait 30 seconds...
find search box...
type "Backup"..
press enter..
read the articles..
understand terms...
close browser..
go start click shutdown your computer..
pull the power plug..

OP
DigitDonz

DigitDonz

Broken In
open internet explorer...
click addressbar...
type www.wikipedia.org
press enter..
wait 30 seconds...
find search box...
type "Backup"..
press enter..
read the articles..
understand terms...
close browser..
go start click shutdown your computer..
pull the power plug..

Even if you go for wikipedia, what u need to do is to read articles which is not the fastest solution, but when u post it on forum you can discuss with the real user and more over we can discuss the solution which cannot be done on something that you mentioned.,

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
Sorry guy.. it is just for fun....

I think, you are at base...
pls read windows backup help ....

ThinkFree

Technomancer
You may be able to run it if you copy all the files of the folder (like that of profiles, in system folders etc) and all the registry entries by searching. But it won't work always.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
You cant back up the installed software...

i think you know that.. u r one of the senior member of this forum....

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^If one can move software from one computer to another using a software, then its also possible to backup them on a disk.

din

Tribal Boy
You can use backup programs like - Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image (google for them)

They can be used to backup your entire PC or any drive completely or any folders completely.

They can also used for backing up the OS partitions, drives which has programs installed etc.

OP
DigitDonz

DigitDonz

Broken In
If I back up a drive which has softwares installed will the registry entries be added along with them - I mean using softwares such as Norton Ghost...

You cant back up the installed software...

i think you know that.. u r one of the senior member of this forum....
Who says U can't Back Up installed software.
let me tell u, first I didn't like the way u replied to original author of the post.
It was really arrogant and irresponsible on ur part.
answers to all questions are available on Internet, so why do so many people still ask the same questions here, because a forum is meant for it.
and remember, even u were a newcomer too this world someday. may be now u r smartest arrogant geek in town.
Back to the point,
the biggest and most important software we know is Operating System (if u knw it),
and u will find so many ppl who back up their full OS on DvDs (including me).
Apart from this there are many softwares which can still be backed up after installation. Many can not be, as we do not exactly know all the locations where they store their assemblies, if u knw , u can even store them somewhere.
Finally let me give u few examples.
a game called Quake 3 can be simply backed up by copying all the files from its installation directory, and later u can simply copy back the folder and start the game from there.Same holds true for EA cricket.
There are many more such applications which our wise friends here can bring to ur notice.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Well said alok4best, Many people like me first clean install OS, and all software they require, antivirus, office photoshop etc, and all drivers too, and every utility they require, and make a drive image and write it on a dvd. When your comp crashes, just boot into linux using a live cd, copy your recent settings like bookmarks etc, and restore the image. Copy the settings back and update your antivirus etc, and your comp is as good as new :)

OP
DigitDonz

DigitDonz

Broken In
Thank you guys I had installed Norton Ghost and is great working and more user friendly, Thank you once again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom