Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
OK guys, i just downloaded avast pro! v4.7.817 and got it running. This is the first time i am running any avast antivirus software, so i dont know what features have been added and all that on previous versions. But lemme tell u, i was truly amazed. The software is light on resources {even when a thorough scan is running in background ;) } It detected more virus and trojans for me than any other software (i try this on a particular virus file everytime), be it kaspersky 5.0.227(updated) or AVG or mcafee. Another great feature was the script blocker. which starts as soon as you open the IE and prevents against script hazards. It warns about online trojan attacks as well. I think kaspersky also runs a script blocker in the background.
The scan speed is better than kaspersky, and consumes much lesser resources, unlike kaspersky, which WILL slow down your computer considerably (specially during afterboot loading;mcafee slows it dow even more). I have also tried AVG, though very light on resources, its a piece of cr@p when it comes to detecting threats. AFAIK, avast! also has a spam filter that need ur e-mail and all that.(havent used this feature)
And then, comes the very important updates part. The advantage with avast! is that it is updated almost daily(automatically as u start the internet)
The only thing which i didnt like was the cramped up interface with the least set of options when you start a custom scan( though there r all the options, but they r hard to find and use)

Overall, the antivirus is great, and i'll continue using it till my 60-day trial liimit is reached :lol:

Download link avast pro {60 day trial}
Download link avast home {registration-free, required}
download link avast linux

anandk

Distinguished Member
yes, avast is great. i use it as a (2nd) on-demand scanner on my pc.

resource utilization is minimal, though nod32 leaves a smaller footprint.
detection rate wise, it lags behind bitdefender, nod32, kav in my opinion...

check these for gen addl info
*www.av-comparatives.org/
www.toptenreviews.com

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
well, i was so confused with the different reports that came my way...almost each differs from the other. If u check up the avast site, it says avast has higher detection rates than even kaspersky.
But i've decided to go by what i feel is the best....and certainly avast detected more for me than Kaspersky, plus it has a more regular update feature and hogs much less resources.
Abt the footprnts...i think kaspersky has them best of all...smallest

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well one pretty cool feature that it used to had is Voice Sound alart when detected a virus or such... is that still there?? i used it a long back may be 2 years back when digit gave it over their CD... that impressed me a lot... lol.. anyway is that still there??

but as per as the protection of my personal system goes... in my home system i am running Windows OneCare Beta with Windows Diffender.... so far so good... without visiting crapy site i am happy with its perfomance...

but when comes the MAX security.... what i feel is.... the best is KAV... no doubt about it...

OP
MysticHalo

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
saurav_cheeta said:
but as per as the protection of my personal system goes... in my home system i am running Windows OneCare Beta with Windows Diffender.... so far so good... without visiting crapy site i am happy with its perfomance...
yeah, visiting crappy 'sites' makes all the difference ;)
but when comes the MAX security.... what i feel is.... the best is KAV... no doubt about it...
Kav is gr8, but very slow...and sice they have got Anti Hacker for Internet security, Kav antivirus doesnt have much for online protection.
Kav Anti-pro is indeed good.....but with limited RAm, i wud still prefer avast...
AFA windows anti-spy and anti-malware tools r concerned, i dont have any grt experience with them......HOPELESS :-?

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
avast actually turned out to be a resource hog for me. wonder why t took do much of time to load, occupying 100% resorces.

But I give 100 out of 100 to Avast!....better detection capabilities than AVG and PC Cillin (PC Cillin is a namesake AV...never detects a virus)....and also consume much lesser resources than above mentioned AVs

neo_online

Right off the assembly line
im agree with pratheesh..........im using avast pro for more than a year.......i u it proved .........himself....im using 256 ram tahst y cnt use,,,,,,,,kav or norton..as much i know norton its d worst make ur pc damm slow.......its detection is alright but....cnt able to remove d virus wen he discover it.....
so...my points goes to....avast...pro...n yes...avast home is of no use.....dont hv much protection or...facilities......
tc......

LegendKiller

In the zone
See,there's no denying the fact that kaspersky has the best detection rate,somewhere around 99.6% or something,but dont use version.5,instead use the version-6 from their forum which is very good,very light on resources....but scans take long time....
Avast,well i use to use it in 4.6 days and its web scanner,significantly dropped my surfing speed,but if it works for u,then stick to it.....
Avast is better than AVG,and much lighter than kaspersky...
As for norton,its damn good but plzzzzzzzzzz dont use it on pc with not less than 512mb RAM....
Avast is good,ur safe!

soham

In the zone
I think NOD32 is the best cause it is the lightest antivirus i have ever used (lighter than avast) and its got some advanced tweaking options.

adit_sen

In the zone
i totally agree. avast is probably the best out there. been using it for nearly 2yrs now.

peace..
aditya

neo_online

Right off the assembly line
c avast is good antivirus....but its useless against trojans....trojan detection rate of......avast pro is very useless.........

n bro im using avast pro...n yes it makes my pc slow wen i surf through ie but nt with opera......n no32 n kapersky is d best right now......about norton dats too damm heavy on pc less than 2.4 precesser n 512 ram.....

so.notron is good but only in high confugration pcs....

not in case of mine......where i use 256 mb ram....

tc:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom