Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
^^
Linux needs no Anti-virus. Don't even bother installing one on it and wasting your time.

But if you are persistant no matter what, then I guess you better use - ClamAV

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
AV in Linux is just for filtering viruses that affect windows. Like, if you run a mailserver on linux with windows clients then it makes sense to install an AV.

OP
LEARNER_LEARNER

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
I'm net surfing on linux everyday(10Hrs) nd download many files(wallpaper,screensaver,etc) everyday nd worked from root user(no user account).some virus come in wallpaper,screensaver.ok
any idea AV 4 linux..

Sykora

I see right through you.
If I take it to understand that you use the internet from your root account -- What on earth are you doing?

Create another account for yourself and use that. Root privileges should be used rarely, if at all -- and only if you know perfectly what you're doing. If you download stuff as root, you'll just give them privileges to do what they want, and necessitate an anti-virus. If you use an ordinary user account, you'll be fine.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
LEARNER_LEARNER said:
I'm net surfing on linux everyday(10Hrs) nd download many files(wallpaper,screensaver,etc) everyday nd worked from root user(no user account).some virus come in wallpaper,screensaver.ok
any idea AV 4 linux..
Whoa! Root browsing? Lmao, get back to windows and be safer.

mehulved

LEARNER_LEARNER right click on the virus, go to permissions tab, then check all the box where permissions 'executable' are written, click OK. Now double click the file. Now come back and tell us what happens.
Sykora why do you need anti-virus on linux even if using a root account?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yeah! I dont think there is any risk browsing as root user! The only reason people suggest not using root account is becaue you yourself can mess up a LOT of things logged in as root, not that any malware can harm you!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Root + Web Browsing is bad if you encounter some script that says it'll do so and so good thing to you and you run it, it does a rm -rf and kaboom, you're gone! That's how someone else explained it to me though :(

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
i asked the same question to 1 of the debian developer in irc and this is wat he said
<Dheeraj_k> Burgwork: hi is it unsafe to access net as root? if yes than why?
<Burgwork> yes, but browser security is a lie basically
<Burgwork> and if your browser get owned, it is running as root and thus you are owned
<sbalneav> Doing any kind of "user" activities as root (i.e. mail, browsing, etc) is a bad thing.
<sbalneav> If there's a security bug in any program, you're running as root, which has the permissions to modify anything on the system. Always do your web browsing as a common user.
<sbalneav> It's much much safer that way.
<Dheeraj_k> does it make system vulnerable to virus?
<Laser_away> sbalneav!
* Laser_away is now known as LaserJock
<sbalneav> hey hey
<Burgwork> not unless teh virus already affects linux
<Dheeraj_k> i mean linux virus
<Burgwork> it makes it easier for the virus to spread, now that it has root access

mehulved

kalpik said:
Yeah! I dont think there is any risk browsing as root user! The only reason people suggest not using root account is becaue you yourself can mess up a LOT of things logged in as root, not that any malware can harm you!
If a malicious root kit takes over a system as a root user, your whole system is a goner but as a non-root user, it can't affect beyond the ~ directory but then if your sudo is unconfigured then of course your whole system is vulnerable surely.

LEARNER_LEARNER, that will do no harm cos the virus will look for windows but since linux will have nothing about windows, the virus cannot do anything at all to your linux. Why do you think I asked you to do that? Nothing happens. If you have wine installed then if the virus looks for windows APi's then it may corrupt wine nothing beyond that.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
what if u have windows partiitions mounted..viruses can sure access those partns including ur system32 partn also.

OP
LEARNER_LEARNER

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
Hi prakash no mounted windows partitions in linux,i've create ext3 partition in linux.ok
ThanX 4 reply...........

Hi tecH_ur_future i was thinking mayb infected my pc from virus bcoz required AV 4 linux.
ok all guys reply with details.
ThanX all guys u r really rock..........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom