Autopatcher vrs Service Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
no, they arent the same. autopatcher is jus collection of all the updates after service packs are released(atleast as of now)... they are automated process of installation of the windows updates which u used to update using "automatic updates". they facilitate in a way that, after formatting, u need not hav to dl it again. jus making things more simpler.

/legolas

sakumar79

Technomancer
To be more elaborate:

Microsoft regularly issues updates to windows software (I believe once in a month). After a period of time, it issues a huge patch called "Service Pack" that incorporates all the updates that have been issued for the Windows software. This is useful for new installations. Even after the last Service Pack (for WinXP, we had SP2 a long while back), newer Windows updates are made available every month. These typically had to be downloaded one at a time and patched using Microsoft Support website...

The Autopatcher software takes Service Packs to the next level by providing all the updates up to the latest issues in a single huge patch. Also, in the Autopatcher software, you can choose which updates to omit when you find it unnecessary and I dont think you can do it with the Service Pack. Autopatchers are typically available either as full version (all updates included) or update version (only last 1 month's updates provided)

Arun

mediator

Technomancer
-ve, i wud recommend installing SP2 b4 autopatcher..bcoz when installed autopatcher for the 1st time SP2 aint got installed (if autoptacher had it..idunno)..but SP1 got installed and all the latest updates save SP2!

PavanPoghul

Broken In
AutoPatcher has the patches which were released after SP2. So once u install XP, install SP2 and then install the latest AutoPatcher. AutoPatcher is very useful for large organizations where they have to update hundreds of computers. Updating through WINDOWS UPDATE will be time consuming process. So they use AutoPatcher which is easier to update. I hope u got it now.

C

cybermanas

@abhishek66
Install Autopatcher only after installing the Service Pack2.That is the correct procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom