ATTENTION: Some Queries Regarding to P2p & Torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys!

First lemme tell U that I hvnt ever used P2P or Torrents. :)
I always d/l s/w using Download managers.
So i hv some queries regarding to Torrants & P2P, pls clear them all. :D

1.) Are P2P & Torrents same thing? or ne difference?
2.) Are there any other similar things like P2P & Torrents?
3.) Do we get better d/l speed in P2P/Torrents than general d/l using d/l managers on the same dial-up connection?
4.) Are all kind of s/w, songs, wallpapers, etc. available on P2P/Torrents ?
5.) Do all P2P/Torrents support RESUME or its same as in case of d/l managers that some support and some not (Like Rapidshare)?
6.) Are using P2P/Torrents ILLEGAL?

thnx in advance!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
1. All torrents are p2p but all p2p are NOT torrent. Get the drift?

2. Usernet, IRC , FTPs , etc..

3. D/l managers are usually faster, no doubt. But the speeds depend on a lot of factors. Using Private trackers gets you good speeds.

4. Do you want to get banned? Edit this or I do the honors and close this thread.

5. All torrents support resume. But you need to be connected to peers again when you reconnect and resume the file.

6. No, it depends on what you leech.

Believe me you'll never use rapid share again when you get used to torrents. All you need to know is where to get the stuffs you look for.

shovik

Banned
Discussions about P2P and Torrent are ok but their source and availibility should not be discussed in the forum. But there are legal torrent sites too. You can get legal sites thorough google. One such legal site is for open source downloads:
*publiclibrary.metamute.org:6969/

Regards,
Shovik.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@drgrudge
thnx a lot for clearing my doubts.

drgrudge said:
4. Do you want to get banned? Edit this or I do the honors and close this thread.
I really can't understand what thing made u angry? I really don't know nething about P2P/Torrents. I asked this coz many wallpapers, songs and s/w r available LEGALY on many sites. May be these things r ILLEGAL on P2P/Torrents? Pls edit my post if nething break Forum Rules in it. :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^
see this disuccions are not promoted on this forum.though many of us use torrents for legal & iilegal purpose.when u use it for legal purpose like open source then to its o.k & else mods will be angry. the only legal link can provide is *www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm (hope this is legal and mods don't bash me)

@drgrudge
i don't like ur statement:eek:ne side u are running a sticky 'invitation thread' in which people are getting invites for torrent sites.which contain iilegal material

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
P2p refers to Peer-to-peer networking... Here, software is used to establish connections between a network of clients (often) without going through a server... The server, even when present, usually does not have direct info on what is stored/shared by the clients... This allows the software to claim immunity from copyright laws because they are not hosting them... Technically, copying files therefore becomes the sole responsibility of the clients...

P2P software such as Kazaa, eDonkey, etc have been here for a long time, but Torrents is relatively newer... It is based on P2p terminology, but there are some finer points that make Torrents a better technology... More discussion about this is available at *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent#Comparison_to_other_file_sharing_systems

I am not sure that I agree with Dr Grudge in stating that Download Managers are typically faster... Download Managers will optimise the use of your bandwidth so that best that you can get from the server is achieved, but the bottleneck there is the server... Assuming that the server from which you are downloading provides a good connection, DMs will be great... However, if you consider Torrents, the situation is a lot more complicated... There will be more sources from which you are downloading (typically) simultaneously which means both server-side may not be the bottleneck.. However, more often than not, you will end up getting onto a queue among many of the sources (all clients will allow only a handful of uploads at a time from their side, and so you will have to wait your turn)... Depending on the situation/time, you may end up downloading stuff at a much faster speed... However, I am not sure if using Torrents or P2P is good for dialup connection (since you have to upload and download simultaneously, you will need twice as much time to complete action unlike an ADSL modem connection where both can occur without much interference...)

Regarding downloadable material and legality, I will combine both in one paragraph... Pretty much everything is available (more wanted items will be available with more sources and some rare items may be hard to find or even unavailable), but from a legal point of view, downloading songs or software is okay only if you have purchased it elsewhere or the song/software is licensed for free... Regarding wallpapers, it is again available, but you have to make sure that the (original) source allows you to download it for free (some sites sell wallpapers, etc and if you download such wallpapers from a p2p site without purchasing it, it is illegal)...

Hope that helps...

Arun

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
On point no. 4:
I thought you were asking for paid softwares and copyright materials. Yeah you can download Firefox, Yahoo messenger using torrents also. In short you can d/l anything that you normally d/l from the respective sites for their softies. I'm not sure abt free *legal* songs, but yeah you can d/l free softies using torrents. It's useful incase you need any older version of that particular softie.

sakumar79 said:
I am not sure that I agree with Dr Grudge in stating that Download Managers are typically faster... Download Managers will optimise the use of your bandwidth so that best that you can get from the server is achieved
I said DMs are *usually* faster. Correct, they get the best out for your connection but I considered using legal software alone, then maybe the servers that host are by and large good.

plsoft

Journeyman
there is no such thing as legal or illegal torrent site, wat matters is the thing you are dwlding.

\/endett/\

Broken In
*MOSTLY* (99%),ppl use torrents to download ILLEGAL things.....
All legal things can be downloaded via http/ftp at a FASTER RATE (in most cases) as there isnt any need to upload while downloading...while in torrents, some bandwidth is reserved for uploading as well. sometimes, it may even happen that u upload 2 GB data while downloading a software of 1.5 GB. So total transfer is 3.5 GB.

*RESPECTING* forum rules, it isnt feasible to discuss torrents in much detail...but the plain blunt truth is....torrents are very much used for illegal downloads.

src2206

In the zone
When you are using P2P s/w of whatsoever nature please be sure that you run a great risk of getting infected as you can never verify the nature of your download unless you actually dump them in your machine.
Some P2Ps like kAzAa come bundled with malwares and they get installed in your machine without your slightest knowladge.
So please beware before you jump in a P2P bandwagon .

\/endett/\

Broken In
src2206 said:
When you are using P2P s/w of whatsoever nature please be sure that you run a great risk of getting infected as you can never verify the nature of your download unless you actually dump them in your machine.
Some P2Ps like kAzAa come bundled with malwares and they get installed in your machine without your slightest knowladge.
So please beware before you jump in a P2P bandwagon .
Right...Limewire,Bearshare,Kazaa etc. arent very safe...lots of bogus software and trojans.
But torrents r better, especially bcoz they can be reviewed....and only good(working torrents) r seeded so there is much less chance of running into trouble.

shoegoe

Broken In
umm..Before u download any torrents.. try to get some comments from the users who have downloaded it. for eg, u may have downloaded something which is actually clipped with viruses or lacking codecs. so its always better to see the comments written on the specifiec torrents before downloadin it..

i think torrentspy provides comments.. sadly isohunt doesnt...(nothin illegal in sayin the names .. right?)

src2206

In the zone
Yes but some seeders simply password protect the archived program. Do not download that torrent as it would lead you to certain sites where you would never like to be :).
And stay away from illegal torrent that is bad for torrent concept also.

utorrent is a very small small bit torrent client and the best part is you need not to install it. Just double click to run. Very lite on resources too.
lol

sakumar79

Technomancer
Since this is not getting any mention again, and since I think it is important, I will raise this issue again even though it was part of my earlier post... On Dialup Connection, I dont think using P2P or torrents is a good idea... (Do note that Vishal seems to indicate that he has dial up connection). Anybody else want to comment on this specific topic?

Arun

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
I never use torrents or any P2P softwares. Since your PC at risk of viral infection or a worm or maybe
some other malicious software. I always download the software I want directly from their website.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
i would to be a rebel right now so pls excuse me.

Azureus ROCKS Dude!!!!

who cares legal/illigal... just dont get caught....

Picture this.
A cute kid sitting in santa's lap sucking on a candy. Now the camera zooms out. U see a suited booted man with a smart hat and a expencive leather briefcase on which is written "Advocate". He says to santa.. " My client is 'Nice' until proven 'Naughty'. "

I really really like torrents as they have provided me with such joy that otherwise i wouldnt have ever set my hands on.
I always seed till 1:1 ratio. and now DHT and stuff are coming so we can soon hope to have torrent networks that are tracker less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom